Solar Voltaic Cells - converting sunlight to electricity over a given area

In summary, solar voltaic cells have the potential to convert sunlight to electricity over a given area, such as Lake Mead, which has an average area of 100,000 acres. If the lake area was covered by solar voltaic cells with 15% efficiency, it could produce approximately 15 GW of electricity from the 250 W/m^2 of sunlight falling on it.
jones2767
Solar Voltaic Cells -- converting sunlight to electricity over a given area

Homework Statement

Lake Mead is formed by the Hoover Dam, and while it actually changes in area and volume, consider it has an average area of 100,000 acres. Assume that 250 W/m^2 of sunlight falls on Lake Mead, how much electricity could be produced if this lake area was covered by solar voltaic cells that convert sunlight directly to electricity with 15% efficiency?

Homework Equations

I'm super confused. I have been working on this problem for about an hour, but I don't even know where to start.

The only equation I can think of to use would be:

F(in) = I x A

Where F is total incoming flux and I is the amount of sunlight??

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have so far is that the Area would be 100,000 acres and the amount of sunlight is 250 W/m^2. I am assuming that I have to find the amount of Watts produced and take 15% of that. Could anyone give me a hint as to how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org

1, How many m^2 are there in an acre (hint google calculator)
Once you know how many m^2 and you know that you receive 250W in each m^2 you know the total W

2, Yes you just take 0.15 of the power arriving

So, if there are 4.05 x 10^8 m^2 in 100,000 acres I would then take that number and divide by 250 W/m^2, which would give me roughly 1.61*10^6.

Then I just take the .15 of that?

Yes
A tip - carry the units through it helps to make sure you have things the right way around.
Power = w, area = m^2 and light arriving = w/m^2, so if you aren't sure what to divide by what
consider, to get power (W) you must have W/m^2 * m^2 = W

Last edited:

awesome! thank you so much! :)

Wait so I'm dividing the amount of sunlight by the area?
I thought I was dividing the area by the amount of sunlight?
Sorry I took a break in homework before returning to this problem

jones2767 said:
Wait so I'm dividing the amount of sunlight by the area?
I thought I was dividing the area by the amount of sunlight?
Sorry I took a break in homework before returning to this problem

Carry the units along like mgb advised you to do. The units will help you to figure out what the numerator and denominator should be. Show your work if you want to ask another question.

by the way jones2767, mgb_phys errored slightly with the "yes" remark. So you need to get the units to cancel, leaving Watts, as berkeman says.

Sorry didn't chekc your figures,
4.05 x 10^8 m^2 * 250 W /m^2 * 0.15 = 15 GW

What is a solar voltaic cell?

A solar voltaic cell, also known as a solar cell, is a device that converts sunlight directly into electricity by the photovoltaic effect. It is made up of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that can absorb and convert sunlight into electrical energy.

How do solar voltaic cells work?

Solar voltaic cells work by converting sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the surface of the cell, it causes the electrons in the semiconductor material to become excited and flow in a specific direction, creating an electrical current.

What is the efficiency of solar voltaic cells?

The efficiency of solar voltaic cells refers to the percentage of sunlight that is converted into electricity. Currently, the average efficiency of commercial solar cells ranges from 15-20%. However, research is ongoing to improve the efficiency of solar cells to make them more cost-effective.

What are the benefits of using solar voltaic cells?

There are several benefits to using solar voltaic cells. They are a renewable energy source, meaning they do not emit greenhouse gases and are not depleted like fossil fuels. They also have low maintenance costs and can provide electricity in remote areas without access to the grid.

What are the limitations of solar voltaic cells?

One limitation of solar voltaic cells is their dependence on sunlight. They are most effective in areas with high levels of sunlight, which can be a challenge in areas with frequent cloud cover or limited sunlight. Additionally, the initial cost of installing solar cells can be expensive, although it can be offset by long-term energy savings.