Modulation: Why 455kHz is the IF Frequency

• Thread starter oufa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulation
In summary, having a signal at the same frequency as the IF can cause interference and the IF frequency is not always 455khz.
oufa
why it is disaster if asignal exists in am at frequency of 455 khz , i mean asignal is at the IF frequency.

also why IF not greater or smaller than 455khz i need to know
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
oufa said:
why it is disaster if asignal exists in am at frequency of 455 khz , i mean asignal is at the IF frequency.

thanks

Your question is not clear. Please try again with more details and more context. Thanks.

This should be obvious. If the signal is strong enough to enter the IF amplifiers then it will cause interference by coexisting with the signal you are trying to receive.

thanks
455khz is not the only IF frequency. Other frequencies are used depending on the receiver design, desired receiving band, and number of conversions. For example, 10.7mhz is a common IF for the FM broadcast band receiver.

1. What is modulation?

Modulation is the process of altering a carrier signal in order to transmit information. This is typically done by varying the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the carrier signal.

2. Why is 455kHz the IF frequency?

455kHz is the intermediate frequency (IF) used in many radio receivers because it provides a good balance between sensitivity and selectivity. It is also a commonly available frequency for radio components.

3. How does 455kHz improve radio reception?

By using 455kHz as the IF frequency, radio receivers are able to amplify and filter the signal more effectively. This results in better reception and improved sound quality.

4. Why is 455kHz considered a standard frequency?

455kHz has been used as the IF frequency since the early days of radio, and has become a standard frequency in the industry. This allows for compatibility and ease of production for radio manufacturers.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using 455kHz as the IF frequency?

One potential drawback is the possibility of interference from other radio signals operating at the same frequency. However, proper filtering and shielding can mitigate this issue.