Stagnant water is providing mosquitoes an excellent breeding spot

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: These three elements, often coupled with a chemical attractant heated in this process, draws the mosquitoes toward the propane flame, where they are then sucked into a net or holder where they collect.B...mimicking a mammal's scent and outputs, the trap draws female mosquitoes toward it, where they are typically sucked into a net or holder by an electric fan where they are collected.C...they are useful in specimen collection studies to determine the types of mosquitoes prevalent in an area but are typically far too inefficient to be useful in reducing mosquito populations.D...the advantage of non-toxic methods of control is they can be used in Conservation Areas.
WiFO215
It has become intolerable. I have to shut all the windows in the house by 5PM, failing which I am mauled by an army of mosquitoes every single night. I have killed more than 100 (not exaggerating) past few nights. I have mosquito repellent which I apply on myself before I head to sleep, but I still get bitten early in the morning when it wears off.

The primary problem is that no one here is keeping the city clean and the backwater sewages have become clogged with garbage. The stagnant water is providing mosquitoes an excellent breeding spot. In spite of many ways that have been tried to curb this, the people keep littering.

Seeing that I cannot tackle the problem at the source, what can I do to save myself? This is just horrible!

Physics news on Phys.org

Fine mosquito netting draped over and around your bed should protect you while you sleep. If the problem is as severe as you describe, it should be known by public health authorities. They may have access to mosquito netting and pesticides to prevent the spread of malaria and other diseases.

I would try burning aromatic incense, and lighting as many candles as you can to disrupt their flight with updrafts.

What city do you live in?

Can you put screens on your windows?

Fine mosquito netting draped over and around your bed should protect you while you sleep.

Have to think about bed-netting. That will only be a partial solution. For at least 6 or more hours, I'm awake swatting these dratted creatures while trying to study.

If the problem is as severe as you describe, it should be known by public health authorities. They may have access to mosquito netting and pesticides to prevent the spread of malaria and other diseases.

It is severe. They are 'smoking' every street (the smoke consists of some chemicals which is supposedly harmful to mosquitoes), but the effect doesn't last very long. The authorities can only do so much. The people don't have the slightest brains/ concern. What's more, they have the gall to complain about the problem too. Idiots!

I would try burning aromatic incense, and lighting as many candles as you can to disrupt their flight with updrafts.

Tried that, but that isn't very effective. How many candles can I light? They just keep coming.

What city do you live in?

Chennai, India

I can, but I've been getting mixed reviews about these. The mosquitoes also pop up from the kitchen sink, bathrooms, or any other water source for that matter. I also have this very large window in the porch which will be quite difficult to cover due to its odd shape. As I mentioned in the OP, I also shut all the windows in the house by 5, but still these creatures are swarming above me as I type.

However, I need think about this one as it seems to be the best option thus far. In contrast to shutting the windows, I at least will get fresh air.

Last edited:

What repellants do you use? Make sure that they have the active ingredient DEET in them, otherwise it will be a waste of your money.

I have a small ceramic fan heater that sometimes pulled in mosquitoes. The heat would singe them, not necessarily killing them immediately, but on the floor they'd go until they died. Didn't catch all of them, but I suppose if you surrounded yourself with a few, that might be interesting. Alternatively, maybe a large room fan or two blowing away from you.

wiki:

Other methods

A newer approach to killing mosquitoes in a non-toxic way is to use a device that burns propane, thus generating carbon dioxide, warmth, and water vapor. These three elements, often coupled with a chemical attractant heated in this process, draws the mosquitoes toward the propane flame, where they are then sucked into a net or holder where they collect.

Some newer mosquito traps or known mosquito attractants emit a plume of carbon dioxide together with other mosquito attractants such as sugary scents, lactic acid, octenol, warmth, water vapor and sounds.[9] By mimicking a mammal’s scent and outputs, the trap draws female mosquitoes toward it, where they are typically sucked into a net or holder by an electric fan where they are collected. According to the American Mosquito Control Association,[10] "these devices will, indeed, trap and kill measurable numbers of mosquitoes," but their effectiveness in any particular case will depend on a number of factors such as the size and species of the mosquito population and the type and location of the breeding habitat. They are useful in specimen collection studies to determine the types of mosquitoes prevalent in an area but are typically far too inefficient to be useful in reducing mosquito populations.

The advantage of non-toxic methods of control is they can be used in Conservation Areas.

A traditional approach in control mosquito populations is the use of lethal Ovitrap by providing artificial breeding spots for the mosquitoes but destroying the developing larvae.

The latest approach is the automatic lethal ovitrap which works like a traditional ovitrap but automates all steps needed to provide the breeding spots and to destroy the developing larvae.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_control

This is interesing:

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- A quarter-century ago, American rocket scientists proposed the "Star Wars" defense system to knock Soviet missiles from the skies with laser beams. Some of the same scientists are now aiming their lasers at another airborne threat: the mosquito.

In a lab in this Seattle suburb, researchers in long white coats recently stood watching a small glass box of bugs. Every few seconds, a contraption 100 feet away shot a beam that hit the buzzing mosquitoes, one by one, with a spot of red light.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680870885500701.html

Also, vitamin B1, although it needs to be taken for a couple of weeks before it makes the skin less attractive to mosquitoes.

Oerg said:

HA! Yeah. Just what I need now.

I have mosquito coils. Those things emit smoke and my eyes begin watering. There is a new variety now which is supposedly non-smoke, but I still can't stand it. I use it every night though. And I sleep under the fan.

Also, vitamin B1, although it needs to be taken for a couple of weeks before it makes the skin less attractive to mosquitoes.

Eh? What's this?? Never heard of this. Could you please provide some links that explain this stuff? How useful is it?

What repellants do you use? Make sure that they have the active ingredient DEET in them, otherwise it will be a waste of your money.

http://www.offprotects.com/insect-bites/

This is the one I use. 25% DEET. What is that and how does it help?

Okay. I Wiki-ed DEET. How safe is it though? Can I apply it often? Will it not harm my skin?

anirudh215 said:
Eh? What's this?? Never heard of this. Could you please provide some links that explain this stuff? How useful is it?

I don't like coils much either. And I don't know much about the vitamins. They were mentioned by someone in medicine when our kids were bitten much more often than others. I couldn't say that was the reason why they were and I can't really say whether or not it worked well because after that we kept them near fans after dusk.

lisab said:

agreed, and/or put the netting on every window--

the USA used to have a lot of the mosquito 'diseases' but with screens on most windows now its decreased quite a bit

anirudh215 said:
Okay. I Wiki-ed DEET. How safe is it though? Can I apply it often? Will it not harm my skin?

There are also repellants containing permethrin you can apply to your clothing instead of your skin. Once applied to the clothing, it'll last a couple of weeks, even with laundering. I would apply DEET sparingly, to areas of skin exposed when wearing clothing.

I'm a little puzzled about the mosquitoes hatching out of your sink drains. They must be laying eggs in the traps. I think once you stop them coming in the windows, you might then be able to control the ones growing in inside water sources with just a little chlorine bleach poured into the drains.

do the drains have traps? S or P traps?
2006-1-13_S_trap_to_P_trap_FINAL_w550.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

do the drains have traps? S or P traps?

How do I find out? From the sink to the drain area, the shape is like an 'L'. Neither S nor P. Am I looking at something else?

There are also repellants containing permethrin you can apply to your clothing instead of your skin. Once applied to the clothing, it'll last a couple of weeks, even with laundering. I would apply DEET sparingly, to areas of skin exposed when wearing clothing.

Okay. I shall keep that in mind. What exactly is harmful about DEET?

I'm a little puzzled about the mosquitoes hatching out of your sink drains. They must be laying eggs in the traps. I think once you stop them coming in the windows, you might then be able to control the ones growing in inside water sources with just a little chlorine bleach poured into the drains.

I shall try that.

I don't know if DEET is harmful, but I have a medical disability from exposures to fragrance chemicals, so I avoid contact with DEET. I wear a Stetson hat when working in the garden, and I wear a light long-sleeved cotton shirt. I put insect repellent on the brim of my hat and on the cuffs of my shirt, and that is enough.

I've used DEET throughout many a summer, with no perceptible side effects. For best results I would apply it to thin-skin areas, like the ears, neck, wrists, ankles -- also liberally pour on the hair for a lasting DEET "aura."

Okay. I inspected the pipe under my kitchen sink. It is in the shape of an S. What is to be done?

Hi anirudh. Your situation sounds miserable. Hope you can get something done about it.
anirudh215 said:
Okay. I inspected the pipe under my kitchen sink. It is in the shape of an S. What is to be done?
It's just really odd that you'd have mosquitos coming out of your sinks or any drain if there's a liquid trap in it. As you can see from the picture that rewebster provided, water will sit in the lower half of the S shaped curve so unless the buggers are scuba divers, they shouldn't be able to get into your home through these pipes. The reason for the trap isn't to block mosquitos, it's to stop the gasses that come up out of a septic system from getting into your home and stinking up the place. With the water standing in the trap, air and other gasses can't get up, nor should mosquitos be able to. There should be a trap on every sink drain, toilet or bathtub/shower. If mosquitos are still coming up, they must be crawling down there, maybe to get to the water for some reason. They're not coming up through the pipes (unless you don't use the sink and the water in the trap all evaporates - but that would probably take weeks, if not months, in which case you have a home for mosquitos in your drain).

Yeah, that's a tough one, especially considering where you live.
I've read some excellent suggestions here, and they should help.
When I was young and in Florida, I know that screens and strong fans helped alot.
But until your outside environment is dealt with by the authorities the best you can do is minimize your agony.

It might be of interest to note that you are being bitten by female mosquito's, not male.
The females require blood in order for their eggs to develop prior to laying them. Female mosquito's, after mating, will thus seek sources of blood.

pallidin said:
It might be of interest to note that you are being bitten by female mosquito's, not male.
The females require blood in order for their eggs to develop prior to laying them. Female mosquito's, after mating, will thus seek sources of blood.

Gee that makes me feel better. I'd HATE to be bitten by a male mosquito. Female mosquitoes' bites are just fine.

anirudh215 said:
gee that makes me feel better. I'd hate to be bitten by a male mosquito. Female mosquitoes' bites are just fine.

lol.

fuzzyfelt said:
Do you have a fan, maybe an electric one you could plug in? That would keep them off you. They don't like moving air.
That's what I thought until a month ago. I put the electric fan on maximum, quite strong and with an annoying sound. Just before turning off the light, I watched the fan and saw a mosquito just over the fan, getting his wings a fresh air. That was so funny to watch that I spent like 3 minutes observing it before killing it. Despite his wings were moving a lot due to the wind, the mosquito wouldn't unstick (or take off, I don't really know in English) from the fan. I've also been bitten a lot of times with a 1 meter from me fan. I use creams and another product that I have to plug in the power outlet. No method has worked very well until now. I always sleep under bed sheets, even in summer (like now), due to mosquitoes. They still bite me in the face and arms (I don't know how they do, my arms are totally covered).
I hate them. But I prefer 100 of them in my bedroom than a single spider in my bedroom, if it is more than 1 mm lengthy. I'd also prefer a bee's nest under my bed than a spider.

What is stagnant water?

Stagnant water is water that is not flowing or moving, and therefore becomes stagnant. It can often be found in old or unused containers, such as buckets, flower pots, or bird baths.

Why is stagnant water an excellent breeding spot for mosquitoes?

Stagnant water provides a warm, nutrient-rich environment for mosquitoes to lay their eggs and for their larvae to develop. The lack of movement in the water also allows for the eggs to remain undisturbed and increase in number.

What types of mosquitoes breed in stagnant water?

There are several species of mosquitoes that breed in stagnant water, including the Aedes, Culex, and Anopheles mosquitoes. These species are known to transmit diseases such as dengue fever, Zika virus, and malaria.

How can stagnant water be prevented from becoming a breeding spot for mosquitoes?

The best way to prevent stagnant water from becoming a breeding spot for mosquitoes is to eliminate any sources of standing water around your home or property. This can include emptying and cleaning out any containers or areas where water may collect, such as gutters, flower pots, or birdbaths.

How can stagnant water be treated to prevent mosquito breeding?

If stagnant water cannot be eliminated, it can be treated with mosquito larvicides. These products are specifically designed to kill mosquito larvae and prevent them from developing into adults. It is important to follow the instructions on the product carefully to ensure safe and effective use.