Calculating Speed of Falling Banana - Just Before it Hits Ground?

In summary, the speed of the falling banana just before it hits the ground can be calculated using the principle of Conservation of Energy. By equating the potential energy at the start to the kinetic energy at the bottom, one can solve for the speed of the banana. Knowing the force and acceleration, the mass can also be determined, making it possible to solve for the potential energy using the equation PE=mgh. The final answer is 7.8 m/s.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Calculating Speed of Falling Banana - "Just Before" it Hits Ground?

Homework Statement

"A monkey drops a banana. Its weight is 1N. It falls 3 metres to the ground. What is the speed of the falling banana just before it hits the ground?"

Homework Equations

Not sure, but I'm guessing I need to calculate the kinetic energy the banana gains (which was 3J) and the change in GPE (which was also 3J).

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook says the answer is 7.8 m/s, but I have no idea why. As I've said above, I've worked out the change in GPE and kinetic energy the banana gains, but why is the answer 7.8 m/s and how are you supposed to arrive at this solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

before the banana hits the ground the velocity is max, which means that the kinetic energy is max so total energy at the moment is kinetic energy .. and at the point just before the monkey drops the banana the potential energy is max with value = mgh=1*3=3J so your total energy is 3J , thus the max. kinetic energy is 3J and you know that the kinetic energy = 0.5*m*v^2 (here m =0.1 kg) then substituting you will find that v =7.74 m/s

thebigstar25 is correct, this is all about Conservation of Energy. Potential Energy at the start is equal to the Kinetic Energy at the bottom. And since you know the Force and Acceleration, you can figure out Mass. (F=ma) Then just plug it into the equation for PE (PE=mgh).

1. How do you calculate the speed of a falling banana?

The speed of a falling banana can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the banana from which it is dropped.

2. What units are used to measure the speed of a falling banana?

The speed of a falling banana is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, any unit of distance divided by a unit of time can be used to measure speed.

3. Can the speed of a falling banana be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of a falling banana can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the banana. These factors can either increase or decrease the banana's speed.

4. Why is it important to calculate the speed of a falling banana?

Calculating the speed of a falling banana can provide valuable information for experiments or demonstrations involving gravity and motion. It can also help determine the impact force of the banana upon hitting the ground.

5. Is there a maximum speed that a banana can reach while falling?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a falling banana can reach, known as its terminal velocity. This is the speed at which the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity, resulting in a constant speed. The terminal velocity of a banana will vary based on its size, weight, and shape.