Analysis Homework. Proof of Arithmetic-Means Inequality

In summary, the goal is to prove the inequality \sqrt{ab} \leq \frac{\left(a+b\right)}{2} for any a,b \geq 0, with equality holding if and only if a = b. The solution involves squaring both sides of the inequality, separating the terms, and manipulating them until it becomes a known equation. The thread linked provides further discussion and assistance.
The_Iceflash
From the Text, Introduction to Analysis, by Arthur Mattuck pg 32 2-3 (a)

Homework Statement

Prove: for any a,b [tex]\geq[/tex] 0, [tex]\sqrt{ab}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{\left(a+b\right)}{2}[/tex]
with equality holding if and only if a =b

Homework Equations

All Perfect squares are [tex]\geq[/tex] 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to go with this but I took the inequality:
[tex]\sqrt{ab}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{\left(a+b\right)}{2}[/tex]

and squared both sides to give me:

ab [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{\left(a+b\right)^{2}}{4}[/tex]

I then separated the right which gave me:

ab [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{a^{2}}{4}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{ab}{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{b^{2}}{4}[/tex]

I multiplied both sides by 4 which gave me:

4ab [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]a^{2}[/tex] + [tex]2ab[/tex] + [tex]b^{2}[/tex]

I quickly saw that 4ab [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\left(a+b\right)^{2}[/tex]

From the known equation: 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\left(a+b\right)^{2}[/tex]

I added the two together and got: 4ab [tex]\leq[/tex]2 [tex]\left(a+b\right)^{2}[/tex]

which divided by 4 equals: ab [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{\left(a+b\right)^{2}}{2}[/tex]

This as far as I got. Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Arithmetic-Means Inequality?

The Arithmetic-Means Inequality is a mathematical concept that states that the arithmetic mean (average) of a set of numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of the same set of numbers. In other words, if we have a set of numbers x1, x2, ..., xn, then the arithmetic mean (x1 + x2 + ... + xn)/n is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean (x1x2...xn)^(1/n).

2. Why is the Arithmetic-Means Inequality important?

The Arithmetic-Means Inequality is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many applications in fields such as statistics, economics, and physics. It is also used as a tool in proving other mathematical theorems and inequalities.

3. How is the Arithmetic-Means Inequality proved?

The Arithmetic-Means Inequality can be proved using various mathematical methods, such as induction, algebraic manipulation, and geometric interpretation. One common method is to use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that for any two sets of numbers a1, a2, ..., an and b1, b2, ..., bn, the following inequality holds: (a1b1 + a2b2 + ... + anbn)^2 ≤ (a1^2 + a2^2 + ... + an^2)(b1^2 + b2^2 + ... + bn^2). By setting a1 = a2 = ... = an = 1, we can derive the Arithmetic-Means Inequality.

4. Can the Arithmetic-Means Inequality be extended to more than two numbers?

Yes, the Arithmetic-Means Inequality can be extended to any number of numbers. This is known as the generalized Arithmetic-Means Inequality. It states that for a set of n numbers x1, x2, ..., xn, the arithmetic mean (x1 + x2 + ... + xn)/n is always greater than or equal to the n-th root of the product of the numbers (x1x2...xn)^(1/n).

5. How is the Arithmetic-Means Inequality used in real life?

The Arithmetic-Means Inequality has many practical applications in real life. For example, it is used in finance to calculate the average return on investment, in statistics to compare data sets, and in physics to analyze the motion of objects. It is also commonly used in everyday life, such as finding the average grade in a class or calculating the average temperature over a period of time.