Understanding Notation for Hyperbolic Functions with Complex Numbers

I missed the "In summary, the conversation discusses the ambiguity of notation in the expression cosh kx (1 + i) and whether the (1 + i) term is multiplying the cosh function or is inside the cosh function. It is noted that this type of notation can be ambiguous and can be easily misunderstood. The conversation also mentions a similar issue with the notation of trigonometric identities. It is suggested to look at the context and previous steps for clarification.
Gonzolo
Hi, if you see:

cosh kx (1 + i),

do you consider the (1 + i) to be multiplying the cosh or inside the cosh ?

i.e.

cosh kx (1 + i) = (cosh (kx))*(1 + i)

or

cosh kx (1 + i) = cosh ((kx)*(1 + i))

I saw this in a thermoconductivity bible from the 50's written by a really smart guy, so there must be some standard to this notation. I suspect it is the latter, but need to be 100% sure.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid to say that it is ambiguous ... so maybe post up how the book got to this stage.

The thing is, if you've got to this stage of an derivation/explanation/proof or whatever and are not sure, then maybe you have missed something earlier ... it should be pretty clear from the context.

pnaj.

The book skips many stages. It has a differential equation and then jumps to the solution f(x,y,...,phi) with phi = f(cosh...). Perhaps it is explained in an earlier chapter.

Yeah I agree with pnaj, it's ambiguous notation. With this type of thing it's often clear from the context what it is supposed to mean, however I still find it kind of annoying.

It's funny that you posted this now, only today ago I was helping a student with a past exam question that read :
Prove the identity that cos (a+b)x + cos (a-b)x = 2 cos ax cos bx.

It's the same type of ambiguous notation. Of course if you know your trig expansions it's pretty easy to tell straight away that it must be the whole "(a+b)x" etc that is the argument of the cosine and not just the "(a+b)". Personally I'd still rather see another pair of brackets and have it in a form that even something as dumb as a computer could unambiguously understand. :)

Gonzolo,

Post up the solution ... we should be able to infer from that.

pnaj.

Here is the complete solution. It is pretty heavy.

Attachments

• soln.doc
    17.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Gonzolo, but I can't seem to be able to open the doc ... I keep getting directed to a page that tells me I'm not logged in (when I clearly am).

I'll try again later.

There we go (a similar problem, slighter simpler, had sinh instead of cosh), the sin()exp() are inside the summation :

Attachments

• soln.GIF
    soln.GIF
    4.5 KB · Views: 461
Ok ... that's pretty clear.

The writer must mean [itex]\sinh (kx(1 + i))[/itex], rather than [itex]\sinh (kx)\times (1 + i)[/itex], because otherwise, the [itex](1 + i)[/itex] terms in the solution for [itex]A[/itex] would simply cancel.

pnaj. :smile:

D'oh!

What is hyperbolic function notation?

Hyperbolic function notation is a mathematical notation used to represent a group of six functions that are closely related to the exponential function. These functions are known as the hyperbolic sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

How is hyperbolic function notation different from trigonometric function notation?

Hyperbolic function notation uses the prefix "h" before the trigonometric function name, such as "hsin" for hyperbolic sine and "hcos" for hyperbolic cosine. This distinguishes them from their trigonometric counterparts, such as "sin" for sine and "cos" for cosine.

What is the domain and range of hyperbolic functions?

The domain of hyperbolic functions is all real numbers, while the range depends on the specific function. Hyperbolic sine and cosine have a range of (-∞, ∞), while hyperbolic tangent and cotangent have a range of (-1, 1). Hyperbolic secant and cosecant have a range of (-∞, -1] ∪ [1, ∞).

What are some real-life applications of hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model the shape of a hanging cable or the trajectory of a projectile. They also have applications in signal processing, population growth, and pricing models.

Can hyperbolic functions be expressed in terms of exponential functions?

Yes, hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of exponential functions through the Euler's formula: e^x = cosh(x) + sinh(x) and e^-x = cosh(x) - sinh(x). This allows for simplification of mathematical expressions and makes it easier to perform calculations involving hyperbolic functions.