Career Question of engineer in aviation industry

In summary, Su, a fresh graduate from Hong Kong is currently working as an assistant mechanical engineer, but is interested in pursuing a career in the aviation industry. They are considering obtaining a master or Mphill degree from an overseas university, but are unsure of the best approach. They are seeking advice on which area of the industry to focus on and the potential challenges of finding a job as a foreigner, particularly in the aerospace engineering field in the US.
Su Solberg
Hello, everyone. I come from hong kong.

I am still barely a fresh graduate (1.5yr after grad.)with good grades in school.
currently, I am working as an asst. mechanical engineer.

However, I am willing to become an engineer in aviation industry.
I am wondering what would be a possible way to work in overseas.
Should I obtain a master / Mphill in oversea university?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Su,

Which part of aviation industry are you interested in? Aircraft/Aerospace engineering? Aviation management? Aircraft operation/maintenance? Are you interested in industry or research job?

If you have already had an idea which area you like, you can probably find a good school somewhere in Europe or US. But please bear in mind that if you are interested in aerospace engineering, it could be a little bit harder for you to find a job as a foreigner (I am talking about US) since a lot of aerospace engineering jobs are defense related and would not go to non-citizen.

What is the job outlook for engineers in the aviation industry?

The job outlook for engineers in the aviation industry is positive. As air travel continues to grow and new technologies are developed, there will be a constant demand for engineers to design and maintain aircrafts and related systems. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of aerospace engineers is projected to grow 3% from 2019 to 2029.

What skills are necessary for a successful career as an engineer in the aviation industry?

To be successful as an engineer in the aviation industry, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. In addition, excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team are necessary. Familiarity with industry-specific software and regulations is also important.

What types of engineering positions are available in the aviation industry?

There are a variety of engineering positions available in the aviation industry, including aerospace, mechanical, electrical, and software engineering. These positions may focus on different aspects of aircraft design and maintenance, such as propulsion systems, avionics, or structural components.

What education and experience are required for a career as an engineer in the aviation industry?

Most positions in the aviation industry require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, with a focus on aerospace or a related field. Many employers also prefer candidates with relevant experience, such as internships or co-op programs in the aviation industry. Certification or licensure may also be required for certain positions.

What are the potential career advancement opportunities for engineers in the aviation industry?

Engineers in the aviation industry have the potential for career advancement through gaining experience and taking on more responsibilities. They may also pursue advanced degrees or certifications to specialize in a certain area of aviation engineering. Some may also move into leadership or management positions within their company or pursue opportunities in research and development.