Lagrangian of a system of several masses and springs

In summary, the conversation discussed a 1 dimensional problem with 3 masses separated by springs and finding the equations of motion of the system. The equations were found using Euler-Lagrange equations and the potential and kinetic energies of the masses and springs were taken into account. Eventually, the correct Lagrangian was determined and the equations of motion were derived.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I challenged myself with a problem I invented, but I'm stuck.
Consider a 1 dimensional problem consisting of 3 masses, each one separated by a spring. So that from the left to the right of my sketch we have [tex]m_1[/tex], a spring ([tex]k_1[/tex] with natural length [tex]l_1[/tex]), [tex]m_2[/tex], another spring ([tex]k_2[/tex], [tex]l_2[/tex]) and [tex]m_3[/tex]. Find the equations of motion of the system.

Homework Equations

[tex]L=L_1+L_2+L_3[/tex] where [tex]L_i=T_i-V_i[/tex].
After this, Euler-Lagrange equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first mass I reached [tex]L_1=\frac{m_1 \dot x ^2}{2}-\frac{k_1 (\Delta x_1 )^2}{2}[/tex] though this [tex]\Delta x_1[/tex] really bothers me.
Now to find [tex]L_2[/tex], [tex]V_2[/tex] is a real headache. Because this mass is connected to 2 springs, I'm not sure at all how to calculate the potential energy of it. Maybe adding both springs' extensions? I mean [tex]V_2=\frac{k_1 (\Delta x_1)^2 + k_2 (\Delta x_2)^2}{2}[/tex]?
Its kinetic energy would be [tex]T_2=\dot x ^2 + 2 \dot x \Delta \dot x_1 + (\Delta x_1)^2[/tex]. Am I in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Statement

I challenged myself with a problem I invented, but I'm stuck.
Consider a 1 dimensional problem consisting of 3 masses, each one separated by a spring. So that from the left to the right of my sketch we have [tex]m_1[/tex], a spring ([tex]k_1[/tex] with natural length [tex]l_1[/tex]), [tex]m_2[/tex], another spring ([tex]k_2[/tex], [tex]l_2[/tex]) and [tex]m_3[/tex]. Find the equations of motion of the system.

Homework Equations

[tex]L=L_1+L_2+L_3[/tex] where [tex]L_i=T_i-V_i[/tex].
After this, Euler-Lagrange equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first mass I reached [tex]L_1=\frac{m_1 \dot x ^2}{2}-\frac{k_1 (\Delta x_1 )^2}{2}[/tex] though this [tex]\Delta x_1[/tex] really bothers me.
Now to find [tex]L_2[/tex], [tex]V_2[/tex] is a real headache. Because this mass is connected to 2 springs, I'm not sure at all how to calculate the potential energy of it. Maybe adding both springs' extensions? I mean [tex]V_2=\frac{k_1 (\Delta x_1)^2 + k_2 (\Delta x_2)^2}{2}[/tex]?
Its kinetic energy would be [tex]T_2=\dot x ^2 + 2 \dot x \Delta \dot x_1 + (\Delta x_1)^2[/tex]. Am I in the right direction?

I think you need three different x positions, one for each mass. That way your answer will be three equations of motion, one for each mass. This way you could also write [tex]\Delta x_1[/tex] = x_2 - x_1

Breaking the Lagrangian up by masses isn't a good idea because the potential energies aren't quantities associated with any single mass, but with each spring. In terms of the xi's, what is the distance between the ends of spring 1? Once you have that, it's easy to write down what the potential energy stored by spring 1 is in terms of your variables.

zachzach said:
I think you need three different x positions, one for each mass. That way your answer will be three equations of motion, one for each mass. This way you could also write [tex]\Delta x_1[/tex] = x_2 - x_1
Good observation. Actually that's what I partly did. Hence my equation for [tex]T_2[/tex]. I took [tex]\vec r _2[/tex] or your [tex]x_2[/tex] as [tex]x+l_1+\Delta x_1[/tex].

vela said:
Breaking the Lagrangian up by masses isn't a good idea because the potential energies aren't quantities associated with any single mass, but with each spring. In terms of the xi's, what is the distance between the ends of spring 1? Once you have that, it's easy to write down what the potential energy stored by spring 1 is in terms of your variables.

Oh... hmm. Looking at zach's reply, x_2-x_1 is the distance between the ends of spring 1. So the potential energy of these 2 masses (or not?) would be [tex]\frac{k_1 (l_1 +x_2 - x_1 )^2}{2}[/tex]? I'm not sure whether it's a "+x_2-x_1" or "-x_2+x_1" and also the second's mass is also attached to the other spring...

The masses don't have potential energy; the springs do.

Your expression for the potential energy of spring 1 is almost correct, but not quite.

vela said:
The masses don't have potential energy; the springs do.

Your expression for the potential energy of spring 1 is almost correct, but not quite.

Oh you're right.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I assumed 5 Lagrangians. 3 for the masses and 2 for the springs. The springs only carry a potential energy while the masses only a kinetic energy. Is this right?
If so, I reach the following Lagrangian: [tex]L=\frac{m_1\dot x_1 ^2}{2}+\frac{k_1}{2}(l_1 - x_2 ^2 + 2 x_1 x_2 - x_1 ^2)+\frac{m_2 \dot x_2 ^2}{2}+\frac{k_2}{2}(l_2-x_3 ^2 + 2 x_2 x_3 - x_2 ^2)+\frac{m_3 \dot x_3 ^2}{2}[/tex].

As for the motion equations, I get [tex]m_1 \ddot x_1 + k_1 (x_1-x_2)=0[/tex].
[tex]k_1 (x_1-x_2)+k_2 (x_3-x_2)-m_2 \ddot x_2 =0[/tex].
And [tex]k_2(x_2-x_3)-m_3 \ddot x_3=0[/tex]. They look too simple in my opinion... What do you think?

The equations of motion look okay. They're just what you'd get if you applied F=ma to each mass, right?

Your Lagrangian, as you typed it, is obviously wrong. The units don't work out in the spring terms. You can't combine l1 with x12 for instance.

vela said:
The equations of motion look okay. They're just what you'd get if you applied F=ma to each mass, right?
I guess so. But I applied Euler-Lagrange's equations to my wrong Lagrangian to get them.
Your Lagrangian, as you typed it, is obviously wrong. The units don't work out in the spring terms. You can't combine l1 with x12 for instance.
Ah right... Err... But is the following true:
myself said:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I assumed 5 Lagrangians. 3 for the masses and 2 for the springs. The springs only carry a potential energy while the masses only a kinetic energy. Is this right?

I see my error. My Lagrangian was [tex]L=\frac{m_1 \dot x_1 ^2}{2}+\frac{k_1}{2}[l_1- (x_2 -x_1)]^2 + \frac{m_2 \dot x_2 ^2}{2}+\frac{k_2}{2}[l_2 - (x_3-x_2)]^2+\frac{m_3 \dot x_3 ^2}{2}[/tex].
It gives me the equations [tex]m_1 \ddot x_1 +k_1 [(x_2 - x_1)-l_1]=0[/tex].
[tex]m_2 \ddot x_2 + k_1 [l_1 +(x_2 - x_1)]-k_2 [l_2 -(x_3-x_2)]=0[/tex] and [tex]m_3 \ddot x_3 +k_2 [l_2 - (x_3 - x_2)]=0[/tex].
Does this looks nicer?

Looks good.

vela said:
Looks good.

Ok thank you. :)

1. What is the Lagrangian of a system of several masses and springs?

The Lagrangian of a system of several masses and springs is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the masses and the potential energy stored in the springs.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a system of several masses and springs calculated?

The Lagrangian can be calculated using the formula L = T - V, where T represents the kinetic energy of the masses and V represents the potential energy stored in the springs. The kinetic energy is calculated as 1/2 times the mass times the square of the velocity, and the potential energy is calculated as 1/2 times the spring constant times the square of the displacement from equilibrium.

3. Why is the Lagrangian useful in studying systems of masses and springs?

The Lagrangian is useful because it provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the dynamics of a system compared to using Newton's laws of motion. It also allows for more complex systems to be analyzed, as it takes into account the interactions between multiple masses and springs.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to solve for the equations of motion in a system of masses and springs?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to derive the equations of motion for a system of masses and springs. This is known as the Lagrangian formalism and it provides a powerful tool for solving complex systems of equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian in studying systems of masses and springs?

One limitation of using the Lagrangian is that it assumes the system is conservative, meaning that energy is conserved and there are no external forces acting on the system. It also may not be as intuitive for some individuals compared to using Newton's laws of motion.