Can I Trim a Flat Flex Cable to Fit My A/C Unit?

In summary, The conversation is about 'flat flex cable' and how it is used in an A/C unit. The main question is whether a longer cable with the same pitch can be used by trimming it down to fit into the connector. The pitch refers to the center to center distance and the style of contacts is also important. Good resources for finding and buying this type of cable are suggested.
cs003
Hi,
I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this. I tried to pick that which I felt was most appropriate.
My question is about 'flat flex cable'. Somebody I know recently purchased an A/C unit which uses a flat flex cable to connect the control board to the motor and such. They would like to mount the control board away from the unit, however that would require a longer cable. I am not familiar with this type of cable. I've done some research and the only thing I can tell is that the "pitch" is the spacing between contacts. But does this mean the gap between contactors, or the spacing from center to center of the contactor strips? Really all I know right now is that it has 17 contactors.
Basically if I know the pitch and let's say the only cable I can find has 20 contactors, but the same pitch is it safe to assume that they could simply trim 3 contactors off the ends in order for the cable to fit into the connector?
If anyone is familiar with this type of cable and can give me some info on it (like definitions of common terms like pitch, and other dimensions...) and even some good resources to find and buy this kind of cable I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
C

Computer science news on Phys.org
Pitch is the center to center distance.

Yes, you could probably trim down a 20 pin.

The style of contacts probably matters. Take a look at www.digikey.com and you could probably find diagrams there to help you out.

What is a flat flex cable?

A flat flex cable, also known as a flexible flat cable or FFC, is a type of electrical cable that is made up of flat and thin conductors that are laminated between two layers of insulation. It is often used in electronic devices where space is limited, as it can bend and flex without breaking or losing its conductivity.

What are the advantages of using a flat flex cable?

Flat flex cables offer several advantages over traditional round cables, such as their flexibility and thinness. They also have lower weight and higher bandwidth capabilities, making them ideal for high-speed data transfer. Additionally, they can be easily customized and are more resistant to electromagnetic interference.

How is a flat flex cable manufactured?

Flat flex cables are typically manufactured using a process called lamination, where thin conductive layers are sandwiched between layers of insulation. The conductors are usually made of copper or aluminum, and the insulation can be a variety of materials, such as polyimide or polyester. The layers are then bonded together and etched to create the desired circuit pattern.

What types of applications use flat flex cables?

Flat flex cables are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices, including mobile phones, laptops, printers, and digital cameras. They are also used in medical equipment, automotive systems, and aerospace technology. Essentially, any device that requires a compact and flexible connection can benefit from using a flat flex cable.

What are the limitations of using a flat flex cable?

While flat flex cables have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. They are not suitable for high-voltage applications and have a lower current-carrying capacity compared to round cables. Additionally, they can be more difficult to repair if damaged and may require specialized tools and techniques for installation.