Geography Challenge (or: how Janitor spent his summer vacation)

In summary, The conversation discusses various places where the speaker took digital pictures, some of which were uploaded and some not. The pictures include a display of neat stuff, a fancy camera, a railroad yard, and a crater that is not of meteoric origin. The guesses for the locations include the Grand Canyon, JPL, and the Thiokol plant in Colorado. The speaker confirms that the location is Earth and shares information about the Thiokol facility in northern Utah.
Janitor
Science Advisor
I took a trip in August. I am curious to see if anyone can figure out the places where I took these digital pictures. Now if you figure Janitor as an international playboy jetsetter, these pictures could have been taken anywhere in the world. Otherwise, you can safely assume they were accessible by road in the western part of the lower 48 United States.

I'll start with the ones I think are easiest to guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Item 1 - if I have figured out how to upload an image file.

Last edited:
Um, image uploading may not be working for me, so come back in a couple of days.

:rolleyes:

(I'm not sure if I got all five images uploaded, or certain ones more than once, or none at all.)

Looking forward to this...

Gokul43201 said:
Looking forward to this...

So am I.

The Bob (2004 ©)

It's obviously the "Lost Turnpike of Pennsylvania", the section that passes through Ray's Hill and (that other really long tunnel).

Unless you are a jetsetter, in which case it's Antarctica.

Do you see something that I don't...or are you just spooking us ?

Gokul43201 said:
Do you see something that I don't...or are you just spooking us ?

He is trying to scare us. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

If they give out 'Science Expert' medals here, maybe they should also hand out 'Computer Doofus' awards. I think my problem was that my images were bigger than the 400x400 pixel limit. Give me ten hours to get back to the computer with my photos on it and re-size them.

{Fifty lashes with a wet noodle.}

{Cracks knuckles and says, "Okay, this time I think it will work."}

I was standing just behind a safety rail when taking this photograph.

Attachments

• site1_downsized.jpg
    site1_downsized.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 425
Free-of-charge to walk through this display of neat stuff.

Attachments

• site2_downsized.jpg
    site2_downsized.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 402
A fancier camera would have allowed me to put on a wide-angle lens and get a more satisfying picture at this location.

Attachments

• site3_downsized.jpg
    site3_downsized.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 386
Dust was blowing from the same spot the whole time I was there, though there was no vehicle there to stir up the dust. It must have been looser soil in that one spot.

I will be very surprised if anyone comes within 40 miles of this place.

Attachments

• site4_downsized.jpg
    site4_downsized.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 446
Final photo. Not much here to distinguish this place from thousands of others as far as geology and flora go. But if you have had a class on American history, you may well have read about something that happened within a couple hundred yards of where I was when I took this.

Hint: historically, this site has something of a connection with the site at which the previous (dusty) picture was taken.

Attachments

• site5_downsized.jpg
    site5_downsized.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Ooh, I can't wait. At least this time I see attachments pending approval, so you must have gotten it right finally! Hopefully you weren't geography challenged on your vacation (unless getting lost is your idea of fun). :biggrin:

This & that

I must have passed ten different places where the pavement was melted, presumably from vehicles burning down to cinders.

I saw a string of Union Pacific flat cars parked in a railroad yard at one point on my trip. Each flat had three cylindrical tanks mounted horizontally. The stenciled lettering on the tanks said: PHOSPHORUS, YELLOW, UNDER WATER, CLASS 4.2 ... RQ, TOXIC MARINE POLLUTANT. Sounds like pretty nasty stuff to me. Anybody know who would buy that product and what they would use it for? I don't know the answer to that.

Moonbear said:
... Hopefully you weren't geography challenged on your vacation (unless getting lost is your idea of fun)...

I only missed one exit on the whole trip!

1) Grand Canyon?
2) JPL?

enigma said:
1) Grand Canyon?
2) JPL?

1) Right river (the Colorado River), but the wrong location (not Arizona)

2) Nope-- notice how dry the land is beyond the manicured green land

Janitor said:
A fancier camera would have allowed me to put on a wide-angle lens and get a more satisfying picture at this location.
The meteor crater in Arizona. (had to google for the name) Barringer Meteor Crater

Cool pictures Janitor!

edit - no, I take it back, that looks too deep and not large enough & do I see water?

hmmmm

Last edited:
Evo said:
The meteor crater in Arizona. (had to google for the name) Barringer Meteor Crater

Cool pictures Janitor!

Thanks! Definitely a crater, but not of meteoric origin, and not in Arizona. (I have been to Meteor Crater on other trips though.)

Yeah, I realized after a second it was a volcanic crater, lakes seem to form in those. But I don't remember where it is. :cry:

What looks like water on the crater floor is actually a lighter-colored soil that wind has blown into the crater. I don't doubt that after a rainy season there could be a shallow lake there for a time, though this is located in a place where it does not rain much.

Janitor said:
What looks like water on the crater floor is actually a lighter-colored soil that wind has blown into the crater. I don't doubt that after a rainy season there could be a shallow lake there for a time, though this is located in a place where it does not rain much.
Hmmm, it gets more and more mysterious.

Janitor, are you positive you never left the planet?

Evo said:
Janitor, are you positive you never left the planet?

The location is Earth.

The municipal water supply where I grew up turns out to have been contaminated by trichloroethylene. That explains a lot. :redface:

Janitor said:
Free-of-charge to walk through this display of neat stuff.

Going for the obvious guess : Is this the Thiokol plant, somewhere in Colorado (I think) ?

Last edited:
Correct! I guess you could read the printing on the rocket. :smile:

The big rocket is one of the two boosters that strap onto the Space Shuttle's fuel tank. It comes back down to the Atlantic Ocean by parachute and is towed back to shore for refurbishing and re-use.

The Thiokol facility is in northern Utah. About a ten-minute drive to the left of the picture is the 'Golden Spike' site where the two railroad-building companies met up to form the first transcontinental railroad in the U.S. You can't quite see the north end of the Great Salt Lake itself from the area, but you can see white salty ground out in that direction.

Yes, you can clearly read "THIOKOL" on the rocket. I knew their plant was either in Utah or Colorado. For some reason, I thought it was Colorado...I recall reading about Alcoa selling Thiokol to another company a couple of years ago.

I didn't know about the Alcoa connection. I can remember when it was called Morton-Thiokol, and supposedly the 'Morton' part was the salt-making company, which I guess scooped up salt from the edges of the Salt Lake.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, you can clearly read "THIOKOL" on the rocket. I knew their plant was either in Utah or Colorado. For some reason, I thought it was Colorado...I recall reading about Alcoa selling Thiokol to another company a couple of years ago.

They make Atlas and Delta rockets in Colorado.

I would have guessed somewhere in Western Colorado (around Grand Junction) or Eastern Utah for the first photograph. The Morton-Thiokol picture makes me think it's probably Utah, but I'd be at a loss to identify the place closer than that.

BobG said:
They make Atlas and Delta rockets in Colorado.

That explains it ! You're a saver, BobG !

I will give BobG credit for picture #1, since it is in southeastern Utah, about midway between Grand Junction, Colorado and the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I took the picture from an overlook in Canyonlands National Park. They call this area "Island in the Sky." The river itself cannot be seen from where I was standing, just the gorge. The river flows left-to-right in the picture. Six miles downstream from here it is joined by the Green River, which starts in Wyoming.

I will provide answers on #3, 4, 5 in 24 hours.

A description of the other three pictures-

3) Not too far from the so-called Extraterrestrial Highway in central Nevada is a volcanic field. I drove past some cinder cones on the dirt road going to the rim of Lunar Crater, which is where I was standing when I took this picture. I think Lunar Crater itself is called a maar crater by geologists, since it formed when magma rose to the level of a groundwater layer, flashed it into steam, and blew the ground cover away in a very brief amount of time. I was the only person around when I was there. Places near there are called Hot Creek and Warm Springs, so I suspect there is still some hot magma not too far down in this part of Nevada.

4) For California-bound emigrants in the mid 1800s to cross northern Nevada meant winding their way between mountain ranges through hundreds of miles of sagebrush desert. Nature was kind enough to provide a perennial stream for most of those miles--the Humboldt River. But like all good things, the Humboldt ended. In particular, its water sank into ground on a mud flat, the ‘Humboldt Sink,’ on which I was standing when I took picture #4, looking southwest over the Fortymile Desert. Many oxen gave their lives pulling wagons across this stretch of desert without water. [I was giving a tiny hint by saying “I would be surprised if anyone comes within 40 miles."]

5) A group of California emigrants known to history as ‘the Donner Party’ took an ill-advised “shortcut” through Utah, and paid dearly for it. They arrived near the crest of the Sierra Nevada too late in the traveling season, such that the snow was too deep to get over the top of what is now known as Donner Summit, beyond which it was downhill to the destination in northern California. They had to spend a very snowy winter on the east slope of the Sierra, and they split into three camps. One camp was at Alder Creek. I took this picture sitting on the boardwalk spanning the creek. The dark portion of the foreground of the picture is the water of the creek itself, a couple of feet wide, heading down the meadow grass toward the Truckee River. A sign merely said that archaeologists believe the precise campsite was “nearby.” I suppose they don’t want people poking around in the ground for artifacts. In the running for most loyal spouse ever has to be Tamsen Donner. She had a chance to leave with rescuers who came from the west late that winter. She sent her children to safety with them, but she herself stayed with her dying husband. When the next rescue team arrived, Tamsen and George were both dead. Some believed that Lewis Keseberg cannibalized them to fill his belly, but he always denied the charge.

If anyone is interested in a brief item about the site, see this:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2004/09/08/territory/territory01.prt

A lengthier telling of the story is at:

http://members.aol.com/DanMRosen/donner/

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, Janitor ! :biggrin:

1. What is "Geography Challenge (or: how Janitor spent his summer vacation)"?

"Geography Challenge (or: how Janitor spent his summer vacation)" is a game designed to test your knowledge of geography. It follows the story of a janitor who travels to different locations around the world and learns about their geography and culture.

2. How do you play "Geography Challenge"?

To play "Geography Challenge", you must answer a series of questions about geography and culture. These questions may include identifying countries, cities, landmarks, and other geographical features. You can play the game online or download it as an app on your phone.

3. Is "Geography Challenge" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Geography Challenge" is suitable for all ages. The questions are designed to be challenging but not too difficult for younger players. It is a great educational game for kids and adults alike.

4. Can you play "Geography Challenge" with friends?

Yes, "Geography Challenge" can be played with friends. You can compete against each other to see who can answer the most questions correctly. You can also work together to solve the questions and learn more about geography together.

5. Is "Geography Challenge" only about geography?

No, "Geography Challenge" also includes questions about culture, history, and other related topics. It is a well-rounded game that will not only test your geography knowledge but also teach you about different cultures and their unique features.