Finding coordinates given 3-dimensional vectors

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the fourth vertex and the lengths of diagonals of a parallelogram created by two given vectors. The fourth vertex is located at u + v = 3 \hat{x} - 4 \hat{y} and the lengths of the diagonals can be calculated by finding the modules of the vectors u+v and v-u (or u-v). The order of subtraction for the little diagonal does not matter.
mystmyst

Homework Statement

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\vec{u} = 2 \hat{x} - 3 \hat{y} + \hat{z}
\vec{v} = \hat{x} - \hat{y} - \hat{z}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Given a parallelogram that's vertex is at the origin (0,0,0) and is created by two vectors u and v:

a) find where the fourth vertex is of the parallelogram
b) find the length of the two diagonals

The Attempt at a Solution

a) since it's a parallelogram, the fourth point is at u + v = [tex]3 \hat{x} - 4 \hat{y} [/tex] ------- I'm not sure if the answer is supposed to be in this form or in form (3,-4,0)

b) I'm not sure about this one. By length, do they mean distance? Should I use the distance formula between two points? Or do they possibly mean vector addition/subtraction?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mysmyst.

a) The vector u+v points to the fourth vertex, whose coordinates are (3,-4,0)

b) You may calculate the vectors that follow the diagonals, from u and v, and then calculate their modules.

the big diagonal is obviously u+v. but is the little diagonal u-v or v-u? and how do I tell which it is in general?

Thanks!

The little diagonal is (v-u) and also (u-v). It doesn't matter. It depends on which sense you see it.

o. that was silly (:

Thanks!

is there a thanks button?

1. What is the difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional coordinates?

In 2-dimensional coordinates, only two numbers (x and y) are needed to locate a point in a plane. In 3-dimensional coordinates, an additional number (z) is needed to locate a point in space.

2. How do I find the coordinates of a point given 3-dimensional vectors?

To find the coordinates of a point using 3-dimensional vectors, you will need to use the vector equation: r = a + tb, where r is the position vector of the point, a is the initial position vector, t is a scalar, and b is the direction vector. You can then solve for t to find the coordinates of the point.

3. What is the dot product and how is it used to find coordinates?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. In the context of finding coordinates, the dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, which can then be used to find the coordinates of a point by using trigonometric functions.

4. Can I find the coordinates of a point given only two 3-dimensional vectors?

Yes, you can find the coordinates of a point given only two 3-dimensional vectors. However, you will also need to know the initial position vector of the point in order to solve for the coordinates using the vector equation mentioned earlier.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding coordinates given 3-dimensional vectors?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding coordinates using 3-dimensional vectors. These include computer graphics, robotics, navigation systems, and physics simulations, among others.