Partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate

In summary, the definition of \partial f / \partial z^* comes from differentiating a function f(z) in terms of z and z^*, and using the chain rule. The reason why f(z) is differentiable when \partial f / \partial z^* = 0 is because it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann Equations.
ralqs
So, my complex analysis professor defined [tex] \partial f / \partial z^*[/tex] as
[tex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial z^*} = \frac {1}{2} \left( \left(\frac {\partial u}{\partial x}-\frac {\partial v}{\partial y}\right) + i\left(\frac {\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac {\partial v}{\partial x}\right)\right)[/tex]
where [tex]z = x + iy[/tex] and [tex]f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)[/tex]. My prof then showed that [tex] \partial f / \partial z^* = 0[/tex] when f is differentiable.

So my question is, where does this definition come from? It behaves exactly as you would expect it to by the notation (ie [tex] (\partial / \partial z^*) zz^* = z[/tex]), but the definition doesn't make this obvious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know this thread is over half a year old, but I happened to come across it while searching some stuff about Complex Analysis on Google. It's possible that you may have already gotten an answer somewhere else, but for others who would like to know why this is and may end up here after a search on Google, I'll post my reasoning here.

Let's look at what makes a function [itex]f(z)[/itex]. Well, [itex]z = x + iy[/itex], so we can define it in terms of functions of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]:

[tex]f(z) = f(x + iy) = u(x, y) + iv(x, y)[/tex]

We need to remember what [itex]z^*[/itex] is. It is simply [itex]z[/itex] whose imaginary part's sign is changed, [itex]z^* = x-iy[/itex].

Also, remember that we can define [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]z^*[/itex]:

[tex]x = Re(z) = \frac{z + z^*}{2}[/tex]
[tex]y = Im(z) = \frac{z - z^*}{2i}[/tex]

Now, we can differentiate with respect to [itex]z[/itex] and [itex]z^*[/itex]. We will use the http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/multichainrule/multichainrule.pdf" (go to page 2 for the chain rule used here) for this.

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} + i\frac{\partial v}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} + i \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right)[/tex]

Since [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}=\frac{1}{2i} = -i \frac{1}{2}[/itex], we have that

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} + i \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - i \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + i\left( \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} - i \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \right) = \frac{1}{2}\left[ \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right) + i \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \right) \right][/tex]Now, we can apply the same to [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z^*}[/itex]. Having [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*}=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*}=-\frac{1}{2i} = i \frac{1}{2}[/itex], we get

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z^*} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*} + i \left( \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + i\left( \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} + i \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \right) = \frac{1}{2}\left[ \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right) + i \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \right) \right][/tex]The reason for why [itex]f(z)[/itex] is differentiable when [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z^*} = 0[/itex] comes from the Cauchy-Riemann Equations.

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

You see, if you plug these into [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z^*}[/itex], you will get 0. If you do not, then [itex]f(z)[/itex] does not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann Equations, and that means it is not differentiable.
So there you have it. :smile:

Edit: Oh I see that over 600 people have viewed this thread, so I guess it was a good idea to bump it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting it myself, but thanks for your reply anyways!

1. What is a partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate?

A partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure how a function changes with respect to the complex conjugate of one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate calculated?

The partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to the real variable and then multiplying it by -i.

3. What is the significance of the partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate?

The partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate is important in the study of complex analysis, as it allows for the analysis of functions in the complex plane. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. Can a function have a non-zero partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate?

Yes, a function can have a non-zero partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate. This indicates that the function is not symmetric with respect to the complex plane and has different values for the complex conjugate of a variable and the variable itself.

5. How does the concept of partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate relate to the concept of analytic functions?

Analytic functions are functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. The concept of partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate is closely related to the concept of analytic functions, as an analytic function will have a zero partial derivative with respect to complex conjugate, indicating that it is symmetric with respect to the complex plane.