Semi-colon or Nabla Notation: Which is Correct for Calculating Nabla?

In summary, the question is about which expression, \nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu A^\alpha={A^\alpha}_{;\mu\nu} or \nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu A^\alpha={A^\alpha}_{;\nu\mu}, is correct. The second expression is the correct one, as it follows the nabla-notation and avoids potential errors. Another reason for using the nabla-notation is to avoid confusion between a dot and a semi-colon.
pellman
Is it

[tex]\nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu A^\alpha={A^\alpha}_{;\mu\nu}[/tex]

or

[tex]\nabla_\mu\nabla_\nu A^\alpha={A^\alpha}_{;\nu\mu}[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second is the right one.

[tex] \nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu A^\alpha=\left(A^{\alpha}_{~;\nu}\right)_{;\mu}= A^{\alpha}_{~;\nu;\mu} = A^{\alpha}_{~;\nu\mu} [/tex]

To avoid errors, my suggestion is not to use them both at the same time when making calculations.

This is one reason I prefer the nabla-notation. (Another is that I often get confused afterwards whether I that little dot over the comma is just a little ink drop or I actually meant to write a semi-colon.)

Thanks!

1. What is the difference between semi-colon and nabla notation?

Semi-colon notation is used in vector calculus to represent partial derivatives, while nabla notation is used to represent the gradient of a scalar field.

2. When should I use semi-colon notation?

Semi-colon notation should be used when taking partial derivatives in vector calculus, such as in the chain rule or in the calculation of tangent planes.

3. When should I use nabla notation?

Nabla notation should be used when taking the gradient of a scalar field, which is a vector field that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of the scalar field.

4. Can I use semi-colon and nabla notation interchangeably?

No, semi-colon and nabla notation represent different mathematical concepts and cannot be used interchangeably.

5. Are there any other notations for partial derivatives and gradients?

Yes, other notations for partial derivatives include the Leibniz notation and the subscript notation. Other notations for the gradient include the Jacobian matrix and the directional derivative notation.