How does light bend under gravitational field(gravitational force), why?

In summary, there is a common misconception that light bends under gravitational force. However, this is not entirely true as light does not have mass and is not subject to the formula "w=mg". Additionally, if light were to bend under gravitational force, its velocity would change according to the formula "F=ma", but since light has a constant speed of c=3x108m/s, this is not possible. For more information, it is recommended to read the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.
shayaan_musta
As I have heard that light bends under the gravitational force. While according to formula "w=mg", gravitation acts on objects that have mass, but light has no mass if it is considered as photon nature.
And also if light bends under gravitational FORCE then light velocity must changes(acceleration produces) according to formula, "F=ma"(force acts on an object produces an acceleration in that object) while light has constant speed i.e. c=3x108m/s.
How will you satisfy me about my both upper statements?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please start by reading an entry in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Please start by reading an entry in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Great, thanks. I have gotten my answer.

1. How does light bend under gravitational field?

Light bends under gravitational field due to the effect of gravity on spacetime. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies create a curvature in the fabric of spacetime. When light travels through this curved spacetime, it appears to bend or follow a curved path.

2. What is the gravitational force that causes light to bend?

The gravitational force that causes light to bend is the same force that causes objects to fall towards the Earth, known as gravity. This force is determined by the mass and distance of the two objects involved. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. Why does light bend more around massive objects?

Light bends more around massive objects because the gravitational force is stronger. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational force and the more it bends the fabric of spacetime. This results in a more significant curvature in the path of light passing near the object.

4. Does the speed of light affect its bending under gravitational field?

No, the speed of light does not affect its bending under gravitational field. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, light will always follow a curved path in the same way, regardless of its speed.

5. Can light escape the gravitational pull of a black hole?

Yes, light can escape the gravitational pull of a black hole. The event horizon, the point of no return for a black hole, is the distance at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light. As light travels at the speed of light, it can escape the gravitational pull of a black hole as long as it stays outside the event horizon.