How does carbon conduct electricity?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the carbon in graphite can conduct electricity because it has a free electron that can move between the layers. Diamond does not have that ability and is therefore harder.
NanakiXIII
We did an experiment in chemistry class today, where we had to see whether certain substances dissolved in water conducted electrcity. For this we put carbon electrodes in the liquid and connected them, but that's not important. My question is, how did the carbon conduct the electricity? From what I've had in class so far, it's not supposed to.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NanakiXIII said:
We did an experiment in chemistry class today, where we had to see whether certain substances dissolved in water conducted electrcity. For this we put carbon electrodes in the liquid and connected them, but that's not important. My question is, how did the carbon conduct the electricity? From what I've had in class so far, it's not supposed to.
The electrodes are made of Graphite. Graphite is a form of carbon. Carbon atoms try to form 4 bonds with each other, in graphite and diamond. If you look at the structure of graphite, each carbon atom bonds with 3 others. This means there is a free electron that can pass the electrical current in between the layers. As diamond uses all four bonds, it can not.

Graphite and Diamond are both forms of carbon.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ah, I see. Thanks.

NanakiXIII said:
Ah, I see. Thanks.
No Porblem. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

why does graphite conduct electricity yet diamond does not? and also, why is graphite soft and diamond hard if they are both substances of carbon?

The solution to the question on conductivity has already been answered by The Bob (above), if you want more detail on this look into the VB (valance bonding) theory, or VSEPR for carbon, and then look at the way carbon bonds to form graphite and diamond, and the manner in which free electrons can move from valance bands to conduction bands and acceptor bands.
That will also give insight into why diamond is extremely hard and why graphite is soft.
Their external structure reflects their internal atomic structure.

In fact, any good Inorganic textbook will give complete in-depth views on these issues.

thank you huni

thank you, your answer has reeli helped me Bob and dx/dy=?. i wouldn't have been able to have answered my chemistry research question without your help. now that i know i won't forget, thank you xxx:smile:
the question i asked want a GCSE coursework topic it was just something we had to learn so that the teacher didnt have to teach us

Last edited:
the question i have been asked to research is:
How the structure of a substance can be used to explain its properties.
can anyone help me please?
it wud be really appreciated

thnx hunis xxxxx

You can take diamond and graphite for examples. They are all carbon atom. In diamond, each C atom has 4 bonding with adjacent ones. That is the sp3 hybrid. So diamond has the spatial structure and it is very hard and does not conduct electricity. In other hand, carbon atoms in graphite has only 3 bonds and the 3 bonds are in a plane because it is the sp2 hybrid. So in graphite, carbon atoms create many planes and each plane can slide against the adjacent ones, so graphite is soft. The non-bonding electrons of carbon in graphite is the reason for electricity conduction.

kittyzmad2k7 said:
the question i have been asked to research is:
How the structure of a substance can be used to explain its properties.
can anyone help me please?
it wud be really appreciated

thnx hunis xxxxx
Hi kittyzmad,

Please read our forum guidelines. If you have homework or coursework related questions, please post them in the appropriate subforum of the Homework & Coursework Section. Also, when you ask for help, you are required to show us what effort you have made towards answering the question, before we can help you.

1. How does the structure of carbon allow it to conduct electricity?

Carbon has a unique atomic structure, with four valence electrons that allow it to form covalent bonds with other carbon atoms. This results in a network of interconnected carbon atoms that can freely move electrons, making it a good conductor of electricity.

2. Is carbon a good conductor of electricity?

Yes, carbon is a good conductor of electricity. It has a relatively high electrical conductivity compared to other non-metals, but is not as conductive as metals such as copper or silver.

3. How does the presence of impurities affect the conductivity of carbon?

The presence of impurities, such as other elements or defects in the carbon structure, can either increase or decrease its conductivity. For example, adding boron to carbon can increase its conductivity, while adding nitrogen can decrease it.

4. Can all forms of carbon conduct electricity?

No, not all forms of carbon can conduct electricity. Only certain forms, such as graphite and graphene, have a structure that allows for the movement of electrons and therefore, can conduct electricity. Other forms, such as diamond, do not have this ability.

5. How does the temperature affect the conductivity of carbon?

The conductivity of carbon generally increases with increasing temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the electrons to move, resulting in a higher conductivity. However, at extremely high temperatures, the carbon structure may break down and lose its ability to conduct electricity.