PG course in energy generation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of energy production and potential post-graduate courses related to it. The speaker suggests checking the DAAD site for a course called "Power Plant Engineering" in Germany. However, they also highlight the importance of practical experience and hands-on knowledge in the field, which may not be fully covered in a classroom setting. They mention the value of working in a large energy utility and the qualities that are sought after, such as being able to handle various challenges and think about the bigger picture. The conversation concludes by emphasizing that while a post-graduate degree may be valuable, it may not fully prepare someone for the realities of working in the energy industry.
sri sharan
I am from India.I am currently doing my graduation in mechanical engineering.One thing that has attracted me a lot is energy production.I want to know if there are any PG courses specific to energy production any where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check "Power Plant Engineering" in Germany from DAAD site.

In truth, there is nothing better than just working at a large energy utility. Schools can only teach you so much. There are practicalities and experience that simply transcend schooling. For example, few schools know what running a sustained 24/7 operation is like, what the politics of running an operation like this are, or how decisions really get made.

My background is from working at a water utility. Our environment is similar. A PhD doesn't get much notice around here. We're looking for people who aren't afraid to get dirty, who are willing to respond in the very worst of weather, on holidays, on weekends and so on. We need people who can think about the big picture, not just the technical details.

If you're interested, find a utility and start building a career. If, on the other hand, you're interested in a Post Graduate Degree, then get one --but don't think for one minute that you really understand the business of energy utilities.

There is simply no way we can teach this stuff in a classroom.

1. What is a PG course in energy generation?

A PG course in energy generation is a post-graduate level program that focuses on the study of energy production, distribution, and management. It covers various aspects of conventional and renewable energy sources, energy policies and regulations, and sustainable energy practices.

2. What are the eligibility criteria for a PG course in energy generation?

The eligibility criteria for a PG course in energy generation may vary depending on the university or institution offering the program. Generally, candidates must have completed a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or environmental science with a minimum required GPA. Some universities may also require candidates to have relevant work experience in the energy sector.

3. What are the career opportunities after completing a PG course in energy generation?

Upon completing a PG course in energy generation, graduates can find employment opportunities in various industries such as power generation, renewable energy, energy consulting, government agencies, and research organizations. They can work in roles such as energy analyst, energy engineer, project manager, sustainability consultant, and energy policy advisor.

4. Is a PG course in energy generation focused only on conventional energy sources?

No, a PG course in energy generation covers both conventional and renewable energy sources. While conventional energy sources such as fossil fuels and nuclear energy are still important, the focus on sustainable and renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power is increasing. Students will learn about both types of energy sources and their management in the course.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for a PG course in energy generation?

While a background in science or engineering is beneficial, there are no specific skills or knowledge required for a PG course in energy generation. However, a strong understanding of basic physics and mathematics, as well as an interest in sustainable energy solutions, would be helpful. Students will also develop skills in data analysis, project management, and critical thinking during the course.