Time and Thermal Time constant explaination

In summary, the term "time constant" refers to phenomena with an exponential behavior. In the context of a bridge wire, it means that the transient energy released will have a shorter duration compared to the thermal time constant of the wire, which prevents any significant change in temperature.
vsg21
Hi,

I have read the defination of a time constant on the internet and yet still don't quite understand it. How do I relate it to the following sentece and what does it mean:

" The transient energy will have a duration much shorter than the thermal time constant of a bridge wire."

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Engineering news on Phys.org
vsg21 said:
Hi,

I have read the defination of a time constant on the internet and yet still don't quite understand it. How do I relate it to the following sentece and what does it mean:

" The transient energy will have a duration much shorter than the thermal time constant of a bridge wire."

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

The term "time constant" generally refers to phenomena that have an exponential characteristic in their behavior:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_constant

Not knowing what a bridge wire is, I guess it may be trying to say this
Although the energy released (heat produced) is in transient state (varying rapidly) we don't see any such thermal evidence (temperature don't follow that pattern, it increases quite steadily) because the device is bulky (high thermal time constant).

It would help if you told us the context.

1. What is time?

Time is a dimension in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future. It is a fundamental concept in physics, and is often referred to as the "fourth dimension" alongside the three dimensions of space.

2. How is time measured?

In physics, time is most commonly measured in seconds using a clock or other time-keeping device. Other units of time include minutes, hours, days, and years. These units are derived from the base unit of seconds.

3. What is thermal time constant?

The thermal time constant is a measure of how quickly a system will reach thermal equilibrium after a change in temperature. It is defined as the time it takes for the system to reach 63.2% of the temperature difference between its initial and final states.

4. How is thermal time constant related to heat transfer?

The thermal time constant is related to heat transfer in that it describes the rate at which heat is transferred from a system to its surroundings. A shorter thermal time constant indicates a faster rate of heat transfer, while a longer thermal time constant indicates a slower rate of heat transfer.

5. What factors affect thermal time constant?

The thermal time constant is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the system, its size and shape, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the type of heat transfer (conduction, convection, or radiation) and the temperature difference between the system and its surroundings can also impact the thermal time constant.