Need help finding the propriate term

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation is about ensuring that certain pins are connected by a jumper to keep the hardware in a specific state for debugging purposes. The speaker is seeking help in finding a positive word to describe this connection that is understood by both professionals and laymen. Suggestions include "connected" or "shorted."
Alex_Sanders
I'm writing sort of a introduction doc for my co-worker... there is certain pins should be connected by a jumper to keep the hardware in certain state, so can I say something like:

"Ensure that UP2 & UP4 is shortfused by the jumper prior to entering the debug mode"?

As you people can see, I want to sort of shortwire the 2 pins DELIBERATELY in a positive manner, and my supervisor insist in using the word that means "short-circuit" or "shorwire" instead of "connect", and I think he is quite reasonable because in the industry, people all say it like that, but I really do not know the word that has a positive meaning and can be understand CORRECTLY by both professionals and laymen.So can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think 'connected' (when used without a modifier like, "through a 10k resistor") is understood to mean "through a low-resistance connection". When you make it more explicit, it sounds as if you need some sort of ground plane (or at least, through a higher contact area).

You could also use the word "shorted", which I seem to recall seeing in a datasheet or two.

MATLABdude has it correct.

1. What is the meaning of "propriate"?

The term "propriate" is not a commonly used word in the English language. It is likely a misspelling or a combination of the words "proper" and "appropriate".

2. How do I find the correct term to use instead of "propriate"?

The best way to find the correct term to use is to consult a dictionary or thesaurus. You can also ask for help from a language expert or do some research on the topic you are writing about.

3. Is "propriate" a real word?

As mentioned before, "propriate" is not a commonly used word and may not be found in most dictionaries. It is possible that it is a word in a specific context or field, but it is not considered a standard word in the English language.

4. What is another word for "propriate"?

Depending on the context, there are several words that can be used instead of "propriate". Some options include appropriate, suitable, fitting, proper, or correct. Again, consulting a dictionary or thesaurus can help you find the most appropriate word.

5. How can I make sure I am using the right term in my writing?

The best way to ensure you are using the right term is by carefully proofreading your writing and seeking feedback from others. You can also use language tools or ask for help from a language expert to double-check your word choice.