Uniform distribution on a toroidal surface

In summary, the conversation is about defining a uniform distribution on a toroidal surface parametrized by polar coordinates. The question is how to define the parametric coordinates in order to use the natural variable for the distribution, which is complicated. The person is seeking help and is using Mathematica for calculations.
Barnak
I'm not sure this is the right thread to post my problem :

I'm trying to define a uniform distribution on the toroidal surface associated to a dipolar magnetic field (or electric). More specifically, the surface (in 3D euclidian space) is parametrised as this, using the usual polar coordinates :

[itex]x(\theta, \phi) = \sin^3{\theta} \; \cos{\phi},[/itex]
[itex]y(\theta, \phi) = \sin^3{\theta} \; \sin{\phi},[/itex]
[itex]z(\theta) = \sin^2{\theta} \; \cos{\theta}.[/itex]

The surface element is this :

[itex]dS(\theta, \phi) = \sin^7{\theta} \; d\theta \; d\phi.[/itex]

For a simple sphere, we get

[itex]dS_{sphere}(\theta, \phi) = \sin{\theta} \; d\theta \; d\phi = du \; d\phi,[/itex]

where [itex]u = \cos \theta[/itex] is the natural variable to define the uniform distribution on the sphere.

In the case of my toroidal surface defined above, the "natural" variable (if I'm not doing a mistake) is really complicated :

[itex]u = \cos{\theta} - \cos^3{\theta} + \tfrac{3}{5} \cos^5{\theta} - \tfrac{1}{7}\cos^7{\theta},[/itex]

so [itex]dS(u, \phi) = du \; d\phi[/itex]. This is the variable I should use to define an uniform distribution of points on the surface.
However, how should I define the three parametric coordinates [itex]x(u, \phi)[/itex], [itex]y(u, \phi)[/itex], [itex]z(u)[/itex] ? I'm unable to invert the function above to give [itex]\cos \theta = f(u) = ?[/itex]

Help please !

I'm using Mathematica to do my calculations.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##0=-u + \cos \theta \cdot \left( 1 - (\cos^2 \theta) + \frac{3}{5} (\cos^2 \theta)^2 -\frac{1}{7}(\cos^2 \theta)^3\right)##
##= -u + \cos \theta \cdot (1-v+\frac{3}{5}v^2-\frac{1}{7}v^3)## which can basically be solved for ##v=\cos^2 \theta## and then for ##\cos \theta##.

1. What is a toroidal surface?

A toroidal surface is a geometric shape that resembles a donut or a tire, with a hole in the middle and a curved surface. It is also known as a torus.

2. What does it mean for a distribution to be "uniform" on a toroidal surface?

A uniform distribution on a toroidal surface means that the probability of finding a point or object on any part of the surface is equal. In other words, the surface is evenly filled with points or objects.

3. How is a uniform distribution on a toroidal surface different from a uniform distribution on a flat surface?

In a uniform distribution on a flat surface, the probability of finding a point or object is the same at any location on the surface. However, on a toroidal surface, the probability is also equal but takes into account the curvature of the surface.

4. What are some real-life applications of a uniform distribution on a toroidal surface?

One example of a real-life application is in satellite orbits, where a toroidal surface is used to model the Earth's gravitational field. Another application is in computer graphics, where toroidal surfaces are used to create realistic 3D objects and environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using a uniform distribution on a toroidal surface?

One limitation is that it may not accurately represent real-world scenarios, as many natural phenomena do not follow a perfectly uniform distribution. Additionally, the math and calculations involved in modeling a toroidal surface can be complex and may require advanced knowledge and techniques.