Criminal Penguins: BBC Documentary Reveals Shifty Lot

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: Arildno, is there any way that you can get out of buying these? You're pretty boxed in! You may have to buy the penguin models,and pretty soon you have a whole zoo full of...well, you know.In summary, during a conversation on the Physics Forums, it was revealed that penguins are not only shifty but also thieves, as proven by a BBC documentary. The conversation also touched on other topics such as penguins being caught and serving time in an "ice house," their taste as food, and their cuteness. A link to a video featuring penguins affected by an oil spill was shared, along with the heartwarming story of volunteers knitting sweaters for them
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
As everyone here at PF knows, penguins are a rather shifty lot.

In this BBC documentary, it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are thieves, as well, caught red-beaked on camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Penguino ... say it isn't so

I know that penguin. He got caught is serving 3-5 in the big ice house.

wuliheron said:
I thought deviant birds were sent to the Arctic and the polar bears??

wuliheron said:
A bird that big should be able to serve 8.

arildno said:
As everyone here at PF knows, penguins are a rather shifty lot.

In this BBC documentary, it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are thieves, as well, caught red-beaked on camera.

Thanks, I never seen this one before. I thought I have watched all BBC videos!

Adorable Arildno!

Evo said:
Adorable Arildno!
Did you forget the comma sign, Evo??

Otherwise, I'll shy myself out of existence..:shy::shy:

arildno said:
I thought deviant birds were sent to the Arctic and the polar bears??

You live three and a half million kilometres north of civilization and don't know that penguins are from the south pole*? Get your nose out of that accelerator's capacitor bank and smell the fish. :tongue:

* And Africa, and Argentina... yeah, I know... shut up...

Jimmy Snyder said:

:rofl:

Dibs on the wishbone... :uhh:

Last edited:
Poor little rock-thieves...

Danger said:
You live three and a half million kilometres north of civilization and don't know that penguins are from the south pole*? Get your nose out of that accelerator's capacitor bank and smell the fish. :tongue:
I sure do.
The punishment is vested in the Transarctic Banishment Act for Baleful Birds, section 6d.
(Yet another resolution from our oh-so-beloved UN..)

arildno said:
Did you forget the comma sign, Evo??

Otherwise, I'll shy myself out of existence..:shy::shy:
I meant it both ways. :smile:

arildno said:
The punishment is vested in the Transarctic Banishment Act for Baleful Birds, section 6d.

Can you provide a link to that? (If it's written in Norweedish, you'll have to supply a translation.)

Evo, does your daughter have any idea of what she started with that simple utterance?

Jimmy Snyder said:

Under all those feathers and fat they're pretty skinny. Tough too.

wuliheron said:
Tough too.

Irrelevant to me. As soon as the ex started buying cheap steaks, I switched from charcoal to thermite in my barbecue. I can tenderize a brick in that thing.

Danger said:
Irrelevant to me. As soon as the ex started buying cheap steaks, I switched from charcoal to thermite in my barbecue. I can tenderize a brick in that thing.

Doesn't that give everything a metallic taste? I'm not sure how that would go with all the fat. Ever cooked anyone's goose on that thing before?

Last edited:
Just another day in the life of a Pengwuino.

Pengwuino said:
Just another day in the life of a Pengwuino.

Does Penguin taste good marinated in wino?

There was a story on the NBC evening news tonight about little blue penguins affected by spilled oil. Volunteers are knitting little pull-over sweaters for them. It seems that even after being de-greased in warm water and detergent, enough oil remains in their feathers to poison the little guys when they try to preen themselves and loft their feathers. The sweaters prevent preening and help keep the penguins healthy enough to be re-introduced to the wild after cleaning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/45000086#45000086

turbo said:
There was a story on the NBC evening news tonight about little blue penguins affected by spilled oil. Volunteers are knitting little pull-over sweaters for them. It seems that even after being de-greased in warm water and detergent, enough oil remains in their feathers to poison the little guys when they try to preen themselves and loft their feathers. The sweaters prevent preening and help keep the penguins healthy enough to be re-introduced to the wild after cleaning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/45000086#45000086
I saw that in chat, so cute! What a clever idea. Those tiny things are SO CUTE!

wuliheron said:
Under all those feathers and fat they're pretty skinny. Tough too.
How do you prepare them?

Evo said:
I saw that in chat, so cute! What a clever idea. Those tiny things are SO CUTE!
Is there a bigger font that you can use for "CUTE"? Some of the little sweaters are so clever, too. One of the little guys in the news story was wearing a sweater that looked like a tuxedo. Too cool!

Jimmy Snyder said:
How do you prepare them?
Lie, and hide the cleaver until they are distracted.

http://wimp.com/stealingpenguin/

Sorry, couldn't find it on youtube.

wuliheron said:
Does Penguin taste good marinated in wino?

Jimmy Snyder said:
How do you prepare them?

turbo said:
Lie, and hide the cleaver until they are distracted.

I find this thread to be a hate-crime in the making.

Locked pending me finding out where you all live.

Evo said:
Those tiny things are SO CUTE!

But we've seen what they grow up to become...

That is pretty cool. I never knew about this. Little thieves, haha.

Jimmy Snyder said:
How do you prepare them?

Pressure cooker. Skin em and gut em like any other animal, trim off most of the fat, and throw what's left in the pressure cooker. Serve with white wine.

For my adorable arildno http://www.buyhappyfeet.com/HappyFeet/Animal-Feet/Moose [Broken]

Evo said:
For my adorable arildno http://www.buyhappyfeet.com/HappyFeet/Animal-Feet/Moose [Broken]
Arildno, is there any way that you can get out of buying these? You're pretty boxed in! You may have to buy the penguin models,and pretty soon you have a whole zoo full of slippers!

turbo said:
Arildno, is there any way that you can get out of buying these? You're pretty boxed in! You may have to buy the penguin models,and pretty soon you have a whole zoo full of slippers!
I tried to find you a pair that looked like Duke turbo, but they have meercats and I was thinking of those for you for some reason.

Evo said:
I tried to find you a pair that looked like Duke turbo, but they have meercats and I was thinking of those for you for some reason.
Thanks, but there is no need. When nights get cold, I like to tuck my feet under Duke and he likes to lay on my feet. We have an arrangement. When it gets real cold, I'll drag his cushy bed near me and tuck my feet under him so I can share his heat and the insulation of the bed. He's good with that. He'll roll up onto my legs and look up at me (upside down) to acknowledge that we are pals.

turbo said:
My personal economy is pretty tight at the moment.

Is that a good enough excuse not to buy those adorable slippers?

arildno said:
My personal economy is pretty tight at the moment.

Is that a good enough excuse not to buy those adorable slippers?
I know you want them. :tongue: I mean, look at those eyes!

1. What is the premise of the BBC documentary "Criminal Penguins: BBC Documentary Reveals Shifty Lot"?

The documentary explores the behavior of penguins in the wild and how their actions can be perceived as "criminal" by human standards.

2. What evidence is presented in the documentary to support the idea of "criminal" penguin behavior?

The documentary showcases footage of penguins engaging in activities such as stealing pebbles from other penguins' nests, engaging in prostitution for pebbles, and even kidnapping and killing the offspring of other penguins.

3. How do penguins' social structures and behaviors compare to those of other animals?

Penguins have complex social structures and exhibit behaviors that are similar to those of humans, such as forming monogamous relationships, engaging in prostitution, and exhibiting jealousy and revenge.

4. What are the potential reasons for these "criminal" behaviors in penguins?

Some scientists suggest that the harsh and competitive environment of the Antarctic may lead to these behaviors as a means of survival. Others believe that these behaviors may be instinctual and serve to ensure the survival of the species.

5. How does this documentary contribute to our understanding of penguin behavior?

The documentary sheds light on the complex and often surprising behaviors of penguins, challenging our preconceived notions of them as cute and innocent creatures. It also highlights the importance of studying and understanding animal behavior in order to better protect and conserve these species in their natural habitats.