Calculating Horse Power: How Many Bundles of Shingles Can a Horse Hoist?

In summary, the best way to check if your work is correct is to double check your calculations and make sure you followed all the steps correctly. You can also use a calculator, but it's important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations. To ensure you are showing all the necessary steps, write them out clearly and neatly. If your answer doesn't match the expected result, check for calculation errors or seek help. To improve your work, practice regularly, seek help when needed, review your work, and stay organized.
UrbanXrisis
If a certain horse can maintain 1.00hp of output for 2 hrs, how many 70 kg bundles of shingles can the horse hoist to the roof of a house 8 m tall, assuming 70% efficiency?

He're what I did: 1 hp = 745.7 W = 44742 J/min = 2684520 J/hr = 5369040 J/ 2 hr * 70% = 3758328 J / 2 hr

W=Fd
W=(70*9.8)(8m)
W=5488 J

3758328 J / 5488 J =684.8 bundles of shingles

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The working is right - so if u calculated the numbers properly - you should get the right answer.

Yes, your calculation is correct. According to your calculation, a horse with 1.00hp of output for 2 hours and 70% efficiency can hoist approximately 684 bundles of shingles to the roof of a house 8m tall. This is a significant amount of work for a single horse! It is important to consider the weight and physical capabilities of animals when determining the amount of work they can perform, and this calculation is a good example of that. Great job!

1. How do I know if my work is correct?

The best way to check if your work is correct is to double check your calculations and make sure you followed all the steps correctly. It can also be helpful to have someone else look over your work for any mistakes or errors.

2. Can I use a calculator to check my work?

Yes, using a calculator can be a helpful tool in checking your work. However, it's important to make sure you understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations rather than just relying on the calculator's answer.

3. How do I know if I'm showing all the necessary steps in my work?

One way to ensure you are showing all the necessary steps in your work is to write out each step clearly and neatly. This not only helps you keep track of your work, but also allows others to follow your thought process and see if any steps were missed.

4. What should I do if my answer doesn't match the expected result?

If your answer doesn't match the expected result, first check if you made any calculation errors. If not, review the problem and make sure you understand the question and are using the correct formula. You can also ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

5. How can I improve my work to get a better result?

To improve your work and get a better result, it's important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also review your work and identify any areas where you may need more practice or understanding. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of your work can also help improve your results.