Show That \{x_n\} is Convergent: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Damidami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergent
In summary, the problem is to show that a sequence of real numbers is Cauchy if it converges. The student attempted to solve the problem but did not finish.
Damidami

Homework Statement

The problem is longer but the part I'm stuck is to show that [itex] \{x_n\} [/itex] is convergent (I thought showing it is Cauchy) if I know that for all [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex] exists [itex] n_0 [/itex] such that for all [itex] n \geq n_0 [/itex] I have that
[itex] |x_{n+1} - x_n| < \epsilon[/itex]

Homework Equations

A sequence is Cauchy if for all [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex] and for all [itex] n,m \geq n_0 [/itex] one has
[itex] |x_m - x_n| < \epsilon [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I called [itex] m = n+p [/itex] (for [itex] p [/itex] an arbitrary positive integer)
Then
[itex] |x_m - x_n| = |x_{n+p} - x_n|[/itex]
But (and I think there is some mistake here):
[itex] |x_{n+1} - x_n| < \epsilon/p [/itex]
[itex] |x_{n+2} - x_{n+1}| < \epsilon/p [/itex]
[itex] \vdots [/itex]
[itex] |x_{n+p} - x_{n+p-1}| < \epsilon/p [/itex]

So
[itex] |x_{n+p} - x_n| < \underbrace{|x_{n+1} - x_n|}_{< \epsilon/p} + \underbrace{|x_{n+2} - x_{n+1}|}_{< \epsilon/p} + \ldots + \underbrace{|x_{n+p} - x_{n+p-1}|}_{< \epsilon/p} < \epsilon [/itex]

Any help on why it's wrong (if it is) and how to solve it correctly?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

This isn't true. For example the sequence
[tex] x_n = \sum_{i=1}^{n} 1/i[/tex]

Office_Shredder said:
This isn't true. For example the sequence
[tex] x_n = \sum_{i=1}^{n} 1/i[/tex]

You are right, thanks.

I suppose I have to write the full problem: Given [itex] \{x_n\} [/itex] a sequence of real numbers, and [itex] S_n = \Sigma_{n=1}^n |x_{k+1} - x_k| [/itex], with [itex] S_n [/itex] bounded, prove that [itex] \{ x_n \} [/itex] converges.

My attempt at a proof:
Clearly [itex]\{ S_n \} [/itex] converges as it is a series of positive terms and it is bounded.
So I define [itex] a_k = | x_{k+1} - x_k| [/itex], and now I know that [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0 [/itex] (because the series [itex] S_n [/itex] converges).

From there I really didn't know how to continue, I thoght proving [itex] x_n [/itex] was Cauchy, but didn't work. Any help?

1. What is the definition of convergence in a sequence?

The definition of convergence in a sequence is when the terms of the sequence approach a specific value as the sequence progresses towards infinity. In other words, the values in the sequence become closer and closer to a fixed number as the sequence continues.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is convergent?

To prove that a sequence is convergent, you need to show that as the number of terms in the sequence increases, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value. This can be done by using the definition of convergence and showing that the difference between each term and the limit value approaches zero as the sequence progresses.

3. What is the importance of proving convergence in a sequence?

Proving convergence in a sequence is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. This information can be used to make predictions or calculations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are the steps to show that a sequence is convergent?

The steps to show that a sequence is convergent are:

1. Start by stating the definition of convergence in a sequence.
  2. Use this definition to set up an inequality involving the terms of the sequence and the limit value.
  3. Show that the difference between each term and the limit value approaches zero as the number of terms increases.
  4. Use the definition of a limit to formally prove that the sequence is convergent.

5. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. A sequence is either convergent, meaning it approaches a specific value, or it is divergent, meaning it does not approach a specific value and instead either grows without bound or oscillates between values.