Can iPads and other devices replace paper for note-taking and derivations?

In summary, using an iPad or similar device for taking notes and doing long derivations is not recommended. Other alternatives such as laptops with touchscreens or tablets with Wacom or N-trig digitizers are better options.
Ibn Naseem
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone uses a iPad (or similar device) for taking notes and doing long derivations.
I am looking into buying and iPad or a similar device and stop using paper.

What do you guys think about this? Ever tried it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't recommend it. Even with a pen, the iPad doesn't give you enough fine control over the input to take detailed notes.

Ibn Naseem said:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone uses a iPad (or similar device) for taking notes and doing long derivations.
I am looking into buying and iPad or a similar device and stop using paper.

What do you guys think about this? Ever tried it?

I agree with Number Nine, but I've used an app a lot like this, and it works okay.

I use the Asus eee Transformer for problems but not for notes.

I do, however, use the Livescribe pen and put all my class notes together on my PC and tablet after school. I also keep all my books on my tablet (PDF files).

A tablet is really useful IMO but do your homework--I did mine and it definitely did not lead to the iPad...

I guess technology has not surpassed pen n' paper quite yet. I just like the idea of erasing without a mess and not having to scan.

I appreciate your advices.

Ibn Naseem said:
I guess technology has not surpassed pen n' paper quite yet. I just like the idea of erasing without a mess and not having to scan.

I appreciate your advices.

There are plenty of great alternatives, but they're more expensive. Laptops with touchscreens tend to be better with fine input, and something like a Wacom tablet would work perfectly.

I have used a tablet PC, and that particular one did not have a satisfactory resolution for the pen. Anyways I am happy with my current system and I don't want to use

Do you use any Wacom products for derivations/notes/HW currently? Why or why not?

I am looking to derivations like the one I have attached.

Attachments

• dv6.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 336
I use a miniature dry erase board for long derivations and problems. It fits in my backpack, so I can take it anywhere.

I think that writing notes on an iPad would be too tedious during class. But if you take pencil and paper notes, you can type them in LaTex after class.

Ibn Naseem said:

This is true for the iPad, but isn't true in general. What you're probably interested in is a tablet with a Wacom or N-trig digitizer. I'd recommend asking for advice on a specific device over on http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/. The iPad and similar 'media tablets' have capacitive (or sometimes resistive in lower-end models) touch screens.

I use a type of tablet computer called a convertible laptop (specifically an older model: HP 2730p), but slate models have been coming out over the last couple of years. I find the keyboard incredibly useful for productivity outside of note-taking, however. Almost all devices equipped with digitizers are Windows-based, but a few Android-based tablets have come out recently.

These computers are equipped with the same pen technology as Wacom's artist tablets (like the Cintiq), feature 256+ levels of pressure sensitivity, are extremely accurate, etc. They also have IPS displays so the viewing angles aren't prohibitive. They are good enough for artists' purposes, and more than adequate for note-taking and homework sets.

I had the same goals as you after my first couple of semesters of college. I was tired of carrying a notebook and several books. I now use the convertible laptop for note taking and productive computing tasks like programming. It is also an e-reader for my textbooks, which I scan at home using a DIY book scanner).

EDIT: Since you seem to have had a poor tablet experience in the past, I've attached a random page of notes from one of my courses this semester. In printing from my program of choice (Microsoft OneNote), the highlighting seems to have gotten a little wonky, and the aliasing on the lines isn't quite as good as in the native program, but it's otherwise representative of the basic inking possibilities. If I want something to print nicely, I use Microsoft Journal (as is the case for homework assignments). OneNote is great because it has many additional features and allows me to sync my handwriting with audio captured during the lecture.

Attachments

• Force Due to Fluid Pressure.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Thank you for your advice.

I guess it is about time I upgrade from my Dell Latitude D600 Windows XP sydtem 30GB hard drive, but I will hold on to it as long I can.

The slate seems like a perfect fit, however, I don't want to dish out a $1000+ bucks. I like the look of Wacom Bamboo products (~$100) and I was wondering if anyone has tried to use their products for problems, derivations, etc. I guess I would just have to stick pen and paper for in class notes though.

Ibn Naseem said:
Thank you for your advice.

I guess it is about time I upgrade from my Dell Latitude D600 Windows XP sydtem 30GB hard drive, but I will hold on to it as long I can.

The slate seems like a perfect fit, however, I don't want to dish out a $1000+ bucks. I like the look of Wacom Bamboo products (~$100) and I was wondering if anyone has tried to use their products for problems, derivations, etc. I guess I would just have to stick pen and paper for in class notes though.

The issue with products like the bamboo is it can be very difficult to write while not looking at what you're writing.

My used 2730p was $350 in like-new condition off of eBay. You will find most core 2 duo tablets are similarly priced, while still being quite capable. Newer slates like the ThinkPad Tablet will cost a bit more, don't function as fully capable computers, but have improved portability. New Windows-based slates will meet or exceed your budget.

Last edited:
That seems to be a reasonable price.
I think an inexpensive slate would suit my needs quite well.
However, I still was wondering if anyone has tried using bamboo-like-products for HW, derivations, etc.

Thanks for your advice.

1. How can an iPad be used for derivations?

An iPad can be used for derivations by downloading a mathematical software, such as Wolfram Alpha or MathStudio, which allows for input of mathematical equations and symbols. These apps also have built-in tools for performing mathematical operations, making it easy to complete derivations on an iPad.

2. Is an iPad suitable for complex derivations?

Yes, an iPad can handle complex derivations just as well as a traditional computer. The mathematical software available for iPads is designed to handle complex equations and operations, making it a suitable tool for completing complex derivations.

3. Can I use an iPad for handwritten derivations?

Yes, there are several apps available that allow for handwritten inputs, such as GoodNotes or Notability. These apps use the iPad's touch screen and stylus to capture handwritten notes and equations, making it easy to complete derivations in your own handwriting.

4. Are there any limitations to using an iPad for derivations?

One limitation of using an iPad for derivations is the smaller screen size compared to a traditional computer. This may make it more difficult to view and manipulate large equations. Additionally, some mathematical software may have limited functionality on an iPad compared to a computer.

5. Can I save and share my derivations on an iPad?

Yes, most mathematical software available for iPads allows for saving and sharing of your derivations. You can save your work as a file on your iPad or share it via email or cloud storage. This makes it easy to access and collaborate on your derivations from any device.