How does a bigger aperture allow for better image resolution in telescopes?

• Thread starter semc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary, a larger aperture in a telescope allows for a wider range of spatial spectrum to be allowed, resulting in a better resolution of the image. This is due to the aperture serving as a filter for the Fourier transform of the object, allowing for more detailed information to pass through. The lens then reconstructs the filtered spectrum, resulting in a sharper image.
semc

Homework Statement

My prof mentioned that if a telescope has a bigger aperture, you can generally resolve the image better. He did mentioned the reason but I kinda forget the reason so can someone tell me why bigger aperture allows you to better resolve images??

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:

Homework Statement

My prof mentioned that if a telescope has a bigger aperture, you can generally resolve the image better. He did mentioned the reason but I kinda forget the reason so can someone tell me why bigger aperture allows you to better resolve images??

It has to do with diffraction.The larger the aperture the smaller the diffraction images.Try googling for details.

Since telescope images faraway objects, at the aperture the incident field is the Fourier transform of the (2D) object to be imaged, an aperture serves to FILTER this spectrum of the object, the bigger the aperture, the more spatial spectrum is allowed, and the lens serve to RECONSTRUCT the object from its filtered spectrum. Since a point source, after filtering, spreads out a little, the heavier the filtering, the more spread-out the image is.

Well yea I know the diffraction limit. But my prof mentioned something about filtering high frequency will filter out the details of your image resulting in a blurred image. I just don't understand why a bigger lens will allow high frequency to pass through.

The wavefront U(p,q) at the plane of the aperture is the Fourier transform of the object plane U0(x,y),
U(p,q)~∫ ∫ dx dy U0(x,y)exp(i(p*x+q*y))
The aperture A(p,q) of radius a such that
A(p,q)=1, if √(p^2+q^2)<a; A(p,q)=0 otherwise
will multiply the wavefront U, i.e., U'(p,q)=A(p,q)*U(p,q), effectively filter out higher frequencies than a.
The lens does the job of inverse FT from U'(p,q) back to U0'(x,y), which is low-pass filtered with respect to U0.

1. What is the purpose of a big aperture in a telescope?

The aperture of a telescope refers to the diameter of its primary lens or mirror. A larger aperture allows more light to enter the telescope, resulting in a brighter and clearer image. This is especially important for viewing faint objects in the night sky, such as galaxies, nebulae, and distant stars.

2. How does a larger aperture affect the magnification of a telescope?

The aperture of a telescope does not directly affect its magnification. The magnification of a telescope is determined by its eyepiece. However, a larger aperture does allow for higher levels of magnification, as it provides a larger amount of light for the eyepiece to work with.

3. What are the advantages of a big aperture telescope compared to a smaller one?

A big aperture telescope has several advantages over a smaller one. It can gather more light, resulting in brighter and clearer images. It also has a higher resolution, allowing for better detail and sharper images. Additionally, a larger aperture allows for a wider field of view, making it easier to locate and observe objects in the night sky.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a big aperture telescope?

One potential disadvantage of a big aperture telescope is its size and weight. A larger aperture often means a heavier and bulkier telescope, which can make it more difficult to transport and set up. Additionally, big aperture telescopes tend to be more expensive than smaller ones.

5. How does the aperture of a telescope affect its ability to view different objects in the night sky?

The aperture of a telescope is a key factor in determining its ability to view different objects in the night sky. A larger aperture is better suited for viewing faint and distant objects, such as galaxies and nebulae. On the other hand, a smaller aperture may be more suitable for viewing closer and brighter objects, such as planets and the moon.