Trouble with Estimating GaN Screw Dislocation Density

In summary, the speaker shares their recent XRD scanning results for a GaN sample, with a FWHM of ~1.35 degrees. They attempted to convert this to radians and used it to estimate the screw dislocation density, but the resulting value was significantly higher than typical values for GaN. They are seeking help to understand this discrepancy.
gabby1981
Hi everyone.

Recently, I did (002) XRD scanning to get the rocking curve of a sample of GaN. From the measurement, I found that the FWHM of the sample is ~1.35 degree. I tried to convert it into radian unit using this formula: angle in radian=angle in degree x π /180 (degree). I got the answer around 4.74 radian. Then I used this value to estimate the screw dislocation density of the sample using this formula; screw dislocation density = FWHM2/4.35 x burger vector (0.5185). The answer is far off the reasonable value that typically reported for GaN. Could anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1.35° = 3.14159 Rad.*1.35°/180° = 0.023562 Rad. not 4.74 (you forgot to divide by 180, I presume). The screw-type dislocation density nstd is equal to the following (your formula is incomplete; also one needs to convert Burger vector bs to centimeters to get dislocation density in cm-2):

nstd = FWHM2/(4.35*bs2)=0.0235622/(4.35*(0.5185 nm*10-7 cm/nm)2) ≈ 5·1010 cm-2

It is a quite poor quality material, which is expected from the very broad XRD ω-scan.

1. What is a screw dislocation in GaN?

A screw dislocation in GaN is a type of defect in the crystal structure that occurs when there is a mismatch in the arrangement of atoms along a specific direction. This results in a thread-like spiral defect in the crystal lattice.

2. Why is estimating GaN screw dislocation density important?

Estimating GaN screw dislocation density is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices made with this material. Higher dislocation densities can lead to decreased device efficiency and shorter device lifetimes.

3. How is GaN screw dislocation density estimated?

The most common method for estimating GaN screw dislocation density is through the use of transmission electron microscopy (TEM). This technique involves examining thin slices of the material under a high-powered microscope and identifying the presence of screw dislocations.

4. What factors can influence the accuracy of GaN screw dislocation density estimates?

There are several factors that can influence the accuracy of GaN screw dislocation density estimates, including the quality of the material, the type of measurement technique used, and the skill of the researcher in identifying and counting screw dislocations.

5. How can the understanding of GaN screw dislocation density be applied in practical applications?

By accurately estimating GaN screw dislocation density, researchers and manufacturers can better understand the limitations and potential failure mechanisms of devices made with this material. This knowledge can then be used to improve device design and fabrication processes, leading to more efficient and reliable electronic devices.