Need help with an electromagnetic induction problem concerning two rods

In summary, this problem involves two metal rods under a uniform field. Initially, one rod is moving at a constant velocity while the other is at rest. The subsequent motions and velocities of the two rods is determined by their respective kinetic energies. If the resistance of the conducting material is negligible, the two rods will eventually go at the same velocity and have the same kinetic energy.
throneoo

Homework Statement

Two metal rods are placed on two parallel smooth conducting rails , under uniform B field lines . The metal rod on right-hand side is initially moving at a constant velocity of 3 m/s , while the other one is initially at rest . What would be the subsequent motions of the two rods and what are their final velocities ?

Assume resistance of all conducting material is negligible .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess they will eventually go at the same velocity , with their kinetic energy conserved ?then their velocities will be 3 divided by root 2 , rightward.

Attachments

• 143150_38102_68.jpg
    143150_38102_68.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
throneoo said:

Homework Statement

Two metal rods are placed on two parallel smooth conducting rails , under uniform B field lines . The metal rod on right-hand side is initially moving at a constant velocity of 3 m/s , while the other one is initially at rest . What would be the subsequent motions of the two rods and what are their final velocities ?

Assume resistance of all conducting material is negligible .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess they will eventually go at the same velocity , with their kinetic energy conserved ?then their velocities will be 3 divided by root 2 , rightward.

You need to make a better attempt at that solution before we can further assist you.

Why do you think they will eventually go at the same velocity?

Seeing this problem makes me think about motional emf.

[tex]\vec{F} = q ( \vec{v} \times \vec{B} )[/tex]

Last edited:
As the moving rod (named rod B) is moving , by fleming's LHR , there will be an induced emf , and so current flows upward through rod B , now that current in rod B interact to push rod B leftward , the other rod (rod A) is pushed rightward by the same mechanism as well . So the two rods approaches each other , both rod A and B will produce an emf to oppose their current motion ( by lenz's law) and so a 'cycle' begins . I think i need to think deeper...but i barely can . i have a thought that each time they change their motion , they share their kinetic energy , and eventually they move together at the same velocity , where there is no current to change their motions.

throneoo said:
the other rod (rod A) is pushed rightward by the same mechanism as well.

How is this?

If you are implying rod A and rod B travel at the same velocity then there is no change in flux, correct? If there's no change in flux there's no induced current correct?

current generated by the rod B flows downward through rod A while it flows upward through rod B . Current in rod A interacts with the external B field , causing rod A to be pushed rightward . now that Rod A moves rightward and rod B moves leftward , so there'll still be induced emf.

throneoo said:
Current in rod A interacts with the external B field , causing rod A to be pushed rightward. now that Rod A moves rightward and rod B moves leftward , so there'll still be induced emf.

Can you show some work justifying some of your claims?

I think once you start poking around with some of the formulae things will become clearer.

unfortunately i have not been taught any formulae . the claims can be justified by fleming's left hand rule

Are you supposed to be neglecting the magnetic field produced by the induced current or not?

If not then what you have explained (if I am understanding it correctly) seems to be correct.

Assume rod A is stationary and rod B is moving a constant velocity. Now instantaneously your B field appears, and there is an induced current in the loop.

This induced current exerts a rightward force on rod A and a leftward force on rod B. As these rods change velocity eventually the net flux passing through the loop will be decreasing as a opposed to increasing and thus the direction of induced current will reverse itself, causing leftward force on rod A and a rightward force on rod B.

That's correct . However , what has been confusing me is...what happens afterwards ? After a leftward force on rod A and a rightward force on rod B are produced , will the two rods repeat their motions as they do after a current is induced in the loop for the first time ?

throneoo said:
That's correct . However , what has been confusing me is...what happens afterwards ? After a leftward force on rod A and a rightward force on rod B are produced , will the two rods repeat their motions as they do after a current is induced in the loop for the first time ?

My belief is that the rods will oscillate back and forth until the oscillations become so small that the two bars have reached a steady state and are (for our purposes) stationary.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field produces an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by placing a conductor, such as a wire or metal rod, in a changing magnetic field. The magnetic field creates a force that moves the electrons in the conductor, producing an electric current.

3. What is the formula for calculating electromagnetic induction?

The formula for calculating electromagnetic induction is emf = -N*dΦ/dt, where emf is the electromotive force (voltage), N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

4. How can I solve an electromagnetic induction problem concerning two rods?

To solve an electromagnetic induction problem concerning two rods, you can use the above formula and apply it to each rod separately. You will need to know the number of turns in each rod, the rate of change of the magnetic flux, and the length and shape of each rod.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has a wide range of applications in everyday life, including generators and motors, wireless charging, induction cooktops, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in devices such as transformers, electric motors, and microphones.