Suggest basic particle physics book

In summary, Lisa Randall's WARPED PASSGES is an excellent book from an influential particle physicst who teaches at Harvard. It sticks pretty much within the Standard Model of particle physics, but has maybe 25 pages of maybe 475 total of string theory as well.
bulatvictor
Unfortunately i have no profound knoledge of particle physics but got much enthusiasm and interest in this matter (its years that i am fascinated of this matter so i don't think its somethink temporary). Can someone advise me some books to start with?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background? If you have not studied physics there are some popular science books. I remember reading "Facts and mysteries in elementary particle physics" by Martinus Veltman, a Nobel laureate. I don't really know what I would think of it today but if memory serves me right it was a good book at a level not too low. Here is an Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/981238149X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As literature in my first course on the subject we used Martin & Shaw, Particle Physics. Here is an Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470032944/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've always liked Griffiths books, and he has written one called "Introduction to elementary particles". This is slightly more advanced though, but the history section in the beginning is great for anyone. And you could probably use it as a first course book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3527406018/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The next step is books on quantum field theory and the mathematical formulation of the Standard Model. But this would definitely not be books to start with.

i've read about Griffiths books a lot but my level of physicis is lower unfortunately. finished high school 15 years ago and had no practicle need of the physics knoledge I've acquired so i simply forgot it in time. so i need to start from the basics.
And thanks a lot for your help.

Lisa Randall's WARPED PASSGES is an excellent books from an influential particle physicst...no math...she teaches at Harvard last I heard. This book sticks pretty much within the Stnadard model of particle physics...but has maybe 25 pages [of maybe 475 total] of string theory as well.

I'm not all that interested myself in intricate details of particle physics, but I found
this book excellent. She also has a new book out late 2010...THE GOD PARTICLE I believe
is the name...Try AMAZON books and look for used [inexpensive] copies if you like.

There are many great books available for someone who is interested in learning about particle physics. Some good introductory books include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "The Particle Odyssey: A Journey to the Heart of Matter" by Frank Close, and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen Blundell. These books cover the basics of particle physics in an engaging and accessible way. Additionally, online resources such as lectures and interactive simulations can also be helpful in understanding the concepts. As you continue to learn and explore this fascinating field, I would also recommend keeping up with current research and developments in the field through scientific journals and online resources. Best of luck on your journey into particle physics!

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about particle physics?

The best book for beginners to learn about particle physics is "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. It provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject without assuming prior knowledge.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about basic particle physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about basic particle physics. Some recommended websites include CERN's Education website, Particle Adventure, and Khan Academy.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand particle physics?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basics of particle physics. Many introductory books and online resources provide explanations that do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

4. Can you recommend a particle physics book that is easy to understand for non-scientists?

"The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll is a great book for non-scientists who are interested in learning about particle physics. It is written in an engaging and accessible way, making it easy to understand for readers without a scientific background.

5. Are there any books that cover both the history and current state of particle physics?

Yes, "The Ideas of Particle Physics: An Introduction for Scientists" by G. D. Coughlan and J. E. Dodd covers the history, development, and current theories in particle physics. It is a comprehensive and informative read for those interested in the subject.