Solar cell charging a super capacitor - need an equation

In summary: So at 3 volts, 6 uA would be about 1.6 uA.Thanks!The 6 uA is probably at max voltage and temperature. It could be significantly lower under the given conditions, but it wouldn't hurt to measure it.You're welcome.
Alligator
I have a very small solar cell that outputs 4 volts (open circuit) and 50 μA (short circuit). I'm trying to charge a 0.33 F capacitor that is rated for 5 volts. I'm looking to understand the charging relationship.

1. What equations govern the charging of this capacitor? I'm already aware of T = R x C; where T = time in seconds; R = resistance in ohms; and C = the capacitance (in Farads).

2. Assuming I want to use the charged capacitor to power a small circuit, how can I convert the stored charge to something like mAh?

3. If I do not use a resistor between the solar cell and the capacitor, using the equation T = R x C, wouldn't the time to a full (4 volt) charge equal zero seconds?

Thanks! [Edited to correct the capacitor value.]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
greetings Alligator

330uF isn't a super capacitor, you sure its not 0.33 Farads or 3.3 Farads etc ?

330uF won't run any circuit for any time

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
greetings Alligator
330uF isn't a super capacitor, you sure its not 0.33 Farads or 3.3 Farads etc ?

Sorry, I should have said .33 Farads. I changed it above.

Last edited:
Nobody knows this, really?

Alligator said:
Nobody knows this, really?

Up to about 60 or 70 percent of open circuit voltage the solar cell will charge close to constant current. At a constant 50uA the dV/dt is 0.15 volts per ksec, so you'll get to about 2.5 volts in about 17 ksec, which is nearly 5 hours.

This ignores capacitor leakage current, so it might take longer (do you have any specifications on leakage current?).

Above about 2.5 volts the charging will slow down. The time to go from 2.5 volts to 3.5 volts will probably take another 2 to 3 hours (guesstimate). Charging to the open circuit voltage is asymptotic, so you'll have to wait a long time if you want to get very close to 4.0 volts.

Last edited:
Hello uart

How do calculate the 0.15 volts per ksec? I have this cpc1822 solar cell that outputs 4volts at 50uA. So I was just wondering how you calculated this, so I can figure this out with other capacitor sizes. I know this seems like a newbie question, but calculus wreaks havoc on my brain :)

Thanks!
NeoTesla

Hi NeoTesla. It's just a simple application of [itex]dv/dt = i/c[/itex].

At 50 uA and 0.33F you get the rate of change of voltage is dv/dt = 0.00005/0.33 volts per second, which turns out to be about 0.15 volts every 1000 seconds.

This relation will only work while the PV-cell provides approximately constant current, typically up to somewhere around 2/3 of it's open circuit voltage. After that you'd have to use numerical techniques (with a model of the cell's V/I characteristics) to accurately model the increases.

Cool that's easy! Thanks for your help!

Alligator said:
I have a very small solar cell that outputs 4 volts (open circuit) and 50 μA (short circuit). I'm trying to charge a 0.33 F capacitor that is rated for 5 volts.
The leakage current lost in your electrolytic may be comparable to your solar cell's output.

Yikes! I'll never get off the ground with a leaky cap. The cap I'm using has a leakage current of 6uA, so will I subtract this from the 50uA and then calculate?

Thanks
NT

NeoTesla said:
Yikes! I'll never get off the ground with a leaky cap. The cap I'm using has a leakage current of 6uA, so will I subtract this from the 50uA and then calculate?

Thanks
NT
Is 6μA nominal, or have you measured it? Is it almost irrespective of voltage? Regardless, yes, it's lost from your calculations.

An experiment you could try: you may be able to lower the leakage of your supercapacitor if you connect 2 AA's across it for a few days, then discharge it (slowly), then use it for your charging measurements. I don't know if this will work, just a possibility it may.

More informative: leave 2 AA's connected across your capacitor for a few hours, then connect your multimeter (set on current) in series with the capacitor and reconnect the AA's. When the current has settled down to a steady level, that is your leakage current at 3 volts.

You could repeat this with 1 AA, then again with 3 AA's, and you would then know exactly what leakage current to allow for when trying to predict how the capacitor would charge from your PV cell.

NeoTesla said:

Thanks
NT

The 6 uA is probably at max voltage and temperature. It could be significantly lower under the given conditions, but it wouldn't hurt to measure it.

The better super capacitors only have leakage current of the order of around 1uA per F.

1. How does a solar cell charge a super capacitor?

A solar cell converts sunlight into electricity, which is then used to charge a super capacitor. The solar cell is connected to the super capacitor through a circuit, allowing the flow of electrons from the solar cell to the capacitor. As the capacitor charges, it stores the electrical energy from the solar cell.

2. What is the equation for calculating the charging time of a super capacitor using a solar cell?

The equation for calculating the charging time of a super capacitor using a solar cell is t = C*(Vfinal - Vinitial)/I, where t is the charging time in seconds, C is the capacitance of the super capacitor in Farads, Vfinal is the final voltage of the capacitor, Vinitial is the initial voltage of the capacitor, and I is the charging current in Amps.

3. How does the intensity of sunlight affect the charging time of a super capacitor?

The intensity of sunlight directly affects the charging time of a super capacitor. The more intense the sunlight, the more energy the solar cell can convert and the faster the super capacitor will charge. However, the amount of sunlight also depends on factors such as the time of day, weather conditions, and the orientation and efficiency of the solar cell.

4. Can a solar cell charge a super capacitor in low light conditions?

Yes, a solar cell can still charge a super capacitor in low light conditions, but it will take longer compared to charging in direct sunlight. The lower the light intensity, the longer it will take for the super capacitor to fully charge. However, some super capacitors have higher sensitivity to low light and can charge faster in these conditions.

5. What is the efficiency of a solar cell in charging a super capacitor?

The efficiency of a solar cell in charging a super capacitor depends on various factors such as the type and quality of the solar cell, the size and capacitance of the super capacitor, and the environmental conditions. On average, a solar cell can have an efficiency of around 15-20% in charging a super capacitor.