Why does inverting the base of a negative exponent cancel the negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverting the base in mathematics and how it cancels out the negative in the exponent. The concept is explained through various identities and examples, ultimately leading to a better understanding of the operation.
bcheck
So I understand the math, that is, how to solve these problems. But how does inverting the base cancel out the negative in the exponent? I worked out inversion to simply be a setback of 2 decimal places, e.g. 12.5% of 8 = 1, so 1/8 is .125 % of 1. But why does this nullify the negative?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey bcheck and welcome to the forums.

I think you are talking about why a-x = [itex]\frac{1}{a^x}[/itex].

The best way to understand this is through the following identities:

ab*ac = ab+c. Now consider b = -c and consider
[itex]\frac{a^c}{a^b} = 1[/itex]

bcheck said:
I worked out inversion to simply be a setback of 2 decimal places, e.g. 12.5% of 8 = 1, so 1/8 is .125 % of 1.

Hopefully this is a typo and you meant to write "1/8 is .125 of 1". I think you are mixing up two different concepts here though:

The "setback of 2 decimal places" is what "%" means. "per cent" literally means "for each hundred".

"12.5%" just means ".125" , dividing 12.5 by 100. As you know, dividing a number by 100 sets the decimal point back 2 places. It's nothing to do with "inversion".

Returning to your original example, if we write it without involving per cents, here are some different ways of saying the same thing (Bearing in mind that "of" just means multiplication):

1 / 8 = .125
1 / 8 = .125 * 1
1 / 8 = .125 of 1
.125 * 8 = 1
.125 of 8 = 1

No mystery?

chiro said:
Hey bcheck and welcome to the forums.

I think you are talking about why a-x = [itex]\frac{1}{a^x}[/itex].

The best way to understand this is through the following identities:

ab*ac = ab+c. Now consider b = -c and consider
[itex]\frac{a^c}{a^b} = 1[/itex]
Thanks man.

Old Wolf said:
Hopefully this is a typo and you meant to write "1/8 is .125 of 1". I think you are mixing up two different concepts here though:

The "setback of 2 decimal places" is what "%" means. "per cent" literally means "for each hundred".

"12.5%" just means ".125" , dividing 12.5 by 100. As you know, dividing a number by 100 sets the decimal point back 2 places. It's nothing to do with "inversion".

Returning to your original example, if we write it without involving per cents, here are some different ways of saying the same thing (Bearing in mind that "of" just means multiplication):

1 / 8 = .125
1 / 8 = .125 * 1
1 / 8 = .125 of 1
.125 * 8 = 1
.125 of 8 = 1

No mystery?

Yeah the percent thing was just something I discovered for myself while doing this. I never thought of what "per cent" literally meant, and it what was really cool for me when I found that the reciprocal of every whole number as a decimal had a relationship that got me back to .01 every time (I could have definitely worded that better, but hopefully you got it). And yes, I did mean "1/8 is .125 of 1", but you got the gist of it. Anyway, I was really just wondering why this operation works in mathematics, but I more or less get it now with chiro's equation, along with the last post of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=254455 Thanks to both of you.

1. Why does inverting the base of a negative exponent cancel the negative?

When dealing with exponents, a negative exponent indicates that the base is in the denominator of a fraction. Inverting the base essentially moves it from the denominator to the numerator, which cancels out the negative exponent.

2. Can you provide an example of how inverting the base of a negative exponent works?

Sure! Let's look at the expression 2^-3. This can be rewritten as 1/2^3. By inverting the base, we get 1/(1x2x2x2), which simplifies to 1/8. This shows that inverting the base of a negative exponent cancels the negative.

3. Does this rule apply to all negative exponents?

Yes, this rule applies to all negative exponents. Whether the base is a number, variable, or even a fraction, inverting the base will always cancel the negative exponent.

4. Why is it important to understand this rule?

Understanding this rule is important because it allows us to simplify expressions and solve equations involving negative exponents. It also helps us to better understand the concept of exponents and their properties.

5. Are there any other rules or properties of exponents that are related to inverting the base of a negative exponent?

Yes, there are other rules and properties of exponents that are related to inverting the base of a negative exponent. For example, the power of a quotient rule states that for any real numbers a and b, and any positive integer n, (a/b)^n is equal to a^n/b^n. This rule can be used in conjunction with inverting the base of a negative exponent to simplify more complex expressions.