Calculating Moment of Inertia of a magnet

In summary, the doughnut magnet has a mass of 2.7 grams, an inner diameter of 1.25 inches, and an outer diameter of 2.75 inches. The moment of inertia is found to be 153.2 grams.
Jdo300
Hello all,

I have a ceramic doughnut magnet (from a speaker) and I'm wondering how to calculate its moment of inertia. I'm using a simulation program to do some mechanical analysis and I need to spin the doughnut magnet. It weighs roughly 185 grams, the inner diameter is 1.25in, the outer diameter is 2.75in, and it's 0.5in thick. Any help will be apprectiated.

Thanks,
Jason O

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding the geometry correctly, you should be able to just take the moment of inertia of a cylinder, and take a large radius cylinder and subtract a small radius cylinder to find the moment of inertia for a donut.

kanato said:
If I'm understanding the geometry correctly, you should be able to just take the moment of inertia of a cylinder, and take a large radius cylinder and subtract a small radius cylinder to find the moment of inertia for a donut.

Im not sure Moment of inertia works that way. A lot of people come up with solutions like these ones when the real solution is a little more complicated. The best way for you to find the moment of inertia is to use some simple mechanics formulas.

[tex] \Sigma\tau = I \omega^2 [/tex]
or
[tex] FR = I \omega^2 = I \frac{\alpha}{R} [/tex]

It all depends if you know your torque on the system. Find out what it is and plug and play with the formulas. If you just want to know what the moment of inertia for a doughnut is, look it up on the net. There are tables of derived inertias for all kinds of objects.

Last edited:
I assume you've got a solid doughnut.
Let the mid-line circle have radius R, whereas the radius of the doughnut tube is [tex]r_{t}[/tex].
Let the (uniform) density be [tex]\rho[/tex]
The mass M, is therefore [tex]M=2\rho\pi^{2}Rr_{t}^{2}[/tex]
The moment of inertia is given by:
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{r_{t}}\rho{r}(R+r\cos\phi)^{3}drd\phi{d\theta}=M(R^{2}+\frac{3}{4}r_{t}^{2})[/tex]
unless I made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited:
What is the cross section. Arildno gave the correct formula for a toroidal donut (torus) with a circular cross-section. However, it would appear that you are describing a square annulus rather than a round one.

Astronuc said:
What is the cross section. Arildno gave the correct formula for a toroidal donut (torus) with a circular cross-section. However, it would appear that you are describing a square annulus rather than a round one.

Hi, yes, the problem is for a square doughnut. I have a couple of questions too. As far as actually calculating the integrals, I am in second year Calculus now so I can do integration problems, but how do I do this since the variables are basically an integral inside of another one? are the limits dependent on each other or independent?

Also, I have one more question which I am sure will complicate the problem more. Inside of the doughnut, I have a plastic disk with three metal cylinders in it that are equally spaced around the disk. I would like to calculate the moment of inertia of this disk but since it doesn't have a uniform density, how would I go about it? I've made a simple diagram showing the rotor with only one of the three meatal cylinders in it for simplicity. I can say that the metal cylinder is the same thickness as the disk.

Thank you for any and all help in advance :-).

Attachments

• Diagram.GIF
    Diagram.GIF
    846 bytes · Views: 606

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia of a magnet?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia of a magnet is I = MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the magnet, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the magnet.

2. Why is it important to calculate the moment of inertia of a magnet?

Calculating the moment of inertia of a magnet is important in understanding its behavior in a magnetic field and its ability to resist changes in its rotational motion. It also helps in designing and optimizing devices that use magnets, such as motors and generators.

3. How do you measure the mass of a magnet for calculating moment of inertia?

To measure the mass of a magnet, you can use a balance or scale designed for small objects. Alternatively, you can use a known mass and compare it to the magnet's weight on a balance to calculate its mass.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a magnet change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a magnet can change depending on factors such as its shape, orientation, and distance from the axis of rotation. It can also change if the magnet's mass or distance from the axis of rotation changes.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a magnet affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a magnet affects its rotational motion by determining how much torque is needed to change its rotational speed. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is needed to change the magnet's rotational speed, while a smaller moment of inertia requires less torque.