Single Transistor Overall Current Gain

In summary, the conversation is about a problem statement and solutions in a thread on Physics Forums. The person is having trouble understanding an equation for current gain and has been working on it but is still unsure. They started a second thread thinking they had figured it out but then asked another question in a third thread.
hisotaso

Homework Statement

THe problem statement and given solutions are in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694054

I do not understand the equation for current gain:

Homework Equations

Ai = [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\frac{R4}{R4 + Ri}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have pages of work on this, but basically what I know is [itex]\frac{Io}{Ie}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]

then [itex]\frac{Ie}{Ii}[/itex] must equal [itex]\frac{R4}{R4 + Ri}[/itex], I don't see that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why have you started a second thread for your own question?

I started a second thread because I thought I had figured it out. I stated so in that thread, and thus expected no one would reply. I asked another question about this same circuit in a third thread.

1. What is single transistor overall current gain?

Single transistor overall current gain, also known as the common emitter current gain or beta (β), is a measure of the amplification capability of a single transistor. It represents the ratio of the output current to the input current when the base-emitter voltage is constant.

2. How is single transistor overall current gain calculated?

The single transistor overall current gain is calculated by dividing the collector current (IC) by the base current (IB). This can also be represented by the equation β = IC/IB.

3. What factors affect the overall current gain of a single transistor?

The overall current gain of a single transistor can be affected by various factors such as the type of transistor, biasing voltage, temperature, and collector load resistance. The gain can also vary depending on the frequency of the input signal.

4. What is the typical range of single transistor overall current gain?

The typical range of single transistor overall current gain for a silicon transistor is between 20 and 200. However, this can vary depending on the specific transistor and its operating conditions.

5. How does overall current gain impact the performance of a single transistor circuit?

The overall current gain of a single transistor is an important factor in determining the amplification capability of a circuit. A higher gain can result in a larger output signal for a given input signal, while a lower gain may result in signal distortion and reduced performance.