Looking for wireless device to connect dongle

In summary, the individual is using a D-Link DWM-156 dongle to connect to the internet on their laptop using an Indian SIM card. They have found that the dongle works best with a strong signal and are wondering if they can use a wireless USB port to improve the signal in their apartment. They have received suggestions to look for a WiFi range extender or a WiFi repeater, or to use a router that allows for a 3G/4G USB dongle. They have also been recommended the DWR730 as an option.
issacnewton
Hi

I am using win xp on my laptop. I recently purchased D-Link DWM-156 dongle (google for images). In this I insert indian SIM card and hook this into the USB port of my laptop anb then connect to the net. Now these dongles work best when the signal strength is strong. When I take my laptop to the balcony of my apartment, the signal becomes strong and there is less tendency to get disconnected. But inside the apartment, signal is not so strong and my net connection gets disconnected after every 15 minutes. So I was wondering if I can get some wireless USB port and hook my dongle to
it and keep this in the balcony of my apartment, so that I don't have to worry much.

Thanks
IssacNewton

Computer science news on Phys.org
Look for a "WiFi Range Extender", or "WiFi Repeater" - they are widely available.

You will need to use a router that allows the WAN connection to come from a 3G/4G USB dongle device. Here's an example of what you will need to use
http://www.netgear.com/3G
You will be able to plug your USB dongle into the wireless router and it will broadcast the connection.

A range extender will also work but it will need to be like the router in that your USB dongle will need to plug directly into it.

Check at your local computer stores to see if they are offering something like that.

Also since you have the DWM156, you may also want to look at the DWR730
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dwr-730-portable-hspa-plus-21-mbps-router

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it

Hello IssacNewton,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your need for a wireless device to connect your dongle. It sounds like you have identified the issue of weak signal strength as the cause of your frequent disconnections. A possible solution to this problem could be to invest in a wireless range extender, which can amplify the signal from your dongle and improve its range. Alternatively, you could also consider purchasing a new dongle with a higher signal strength or a built-in antenna for better connectivity. It is important to note that the effectiveness of a wireless device will also depend on the overall signal strength in your area. I hope this information helps and wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable solution.

1. What is a dongle?

A dongle is a small device that can be plugged into a computer or other electronic device to provide additional functionality, such as wireless connectivity.

2. Why do I need a wireless device to connect my dongle?

A wireless device, such as a router or access point, is necessary to provide a wireless connection for your dongle to connect to. Without a wireless device, your dongle will not be able to access the internet or other network.

3. How do I know which wireless device is compatible with my dongle?

The best way to determine compatibility is to check the specifications of both your dongle and the wireless device you are considering. Look for compatibility with the same wireless standards, such as 802.11a/g/n/ac, and the same frequency band, such as 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

4. Can I use a wireless USB adapter as my wireless device for my dongle?

Yes, a wireless USB adapter can serve as a wireless device for your dongle. However, it is important to ensure compatibility between the two devices and to follow any installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Are there any security concerns with using a wireless device to connect my dongle?

As with any wireless connection, there is always a risk of security breaches. It is important to use strong encryption methods and to regularly update your wireless device and dongle with the latest security patches to minimize these risks.