3d printing with Polylactic acid, adhesion to print bed

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of removing PLA material from a glass bed compared to an acrylic bed when using a 3D printer. The reason for this is due to the properties of the materials, with glass being ionic and attracting similar materials while PLA and acrylate have similar melting points which can cause them to bond. The conversation also suggests different methods to improve the adhesion of PLA, such as using blue painters tape, Kapton tape, or hairspray on the print platform. Additionally, using a steel bed can also help with removing PLA. The conversation ends with a mention of using a glue stick on the base and asking about the progress of building a PLA-compatible printer.
rcq090
I recently built a 3d printer that extrudes PLA or Polylactic acid for the material. When printing on a glass bed the pla drags behind the extruder because it won't stick to the glass. On the other hand printing on a sheet of acrylic the PLA sticks so well that it is difficult to remove after the print is done. Why is it that the PLA sticks better acrylic than glass even though they look the same?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Materials are usually attracted to other materials with similar properties. Glass is ionic in nature so it will usually attract polar or other ionic materials. PLA and PMMA have quite similar functional groups and will probably (not a chemist) attract each other.

Yet this is not necessarily the problem here. The PLA and acrylate you have might have similar melting points which means when you print the PLA welds to the PMMA. And that is a totally different bond.

You have to experiment a little in order to find which method is working the best for you. Do nothing, just print. You can try printing on top of 3M blue painters tape (blue color seems to be better than the other colors available). Just a tip, avoid overlaps of tape.
You can also try to print on top of Kapton tape or use some Hairspray (extra strong versions recommended) on the print platform; this one works well with my http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/pla-traffic-red/

Last edited by a moderator:
Something we did at my lab to alleviate that problem was like the user above me posted regarding blue painters tape, but also we would use a glue stick and rub it on the base

Have you tried switching to a steel bed?

That is super cool that you built a printer to handle PLA, how is progress coming along?

Likes M528morgan

1. How does Polylactic acid (PLA) adhere to the print bed?

PLA adheres to the print bed through a combination of factors, including surface preparation, temperature, and print settings. The print bed should be clean and level, and some users may choose to apply a thin layer of adhesive, such as glue stick or hairspray, to help with adhesion. Additionally, the print bed should be heated to the recommended temperature for PLA, typically around 60-70 degrees Celsius. Finally, adjusting the print settings to ensure the first layer is printed slowly and with enough pressure can also improve adhesion.

2. What are some common issues with PLA adhesion to the print bed?

Some common issues with PLA adhesion to the print bed include warping or curling of the print, especially at the corners, and the print not sticking to the bed at all. This can be caused by an unlevel print bed, incorrect temperature settings, or insufficient surface preparation. It can also be helpful to check the quality of the PLA filament being used, as some lower quality filaments may not adhere as well.

3. How can I improve PLA adhesion to the print bed?

To improve PLA adhesion to the print bed, first ensure that the print bed is clean and level. If necessary, use a small amount of adhesive, such as glue stick or hairspray, to help with adhesion. Adjusting the print temperature and settings may also help, as well as experimenting with different types of print surfaces, such as a glass bed or specialized print bed materials.

4. Can I print with PLA on a cold bed?

While it is possible to print with PLA on a cold bed, it is not recommended. PLA requires a heated bed to properly adhere and prevent warping or curling of the print. Without a heated bed, the print may not stick to the bed at all or may become distorted during the printing process.

5. How do I remove a PLA print from the bed without damaging it?

To remove a PLA print from the bed without damaging it, it is best to let the print bed cool down first. This will cause the PLA to contract and release its grip on the bed. Then, use a scraper or spatula to gently pry the print off the bed. If necessary, you can also use a small amount of rubbing alcohol or a specialized print bed adhesive remover to help loosen the print. It is important to be careful and not use excessive force, as this can damage the print bed.