General homogeneous shrinking core problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of the general non-catalytic shrinking core model and focuses on the step that involves finding the transient behavior of the retreating interface. The solution given by Ishida is provided, but the person is having trouble arriving at the same answer. They are seeking help in understanding the problem better. Eventually, the problem is solved with the assistance of others.
jpmann
Hi Guys,

First post here. I'm just wondering if anyone could lend a helping hand in the following derivation. It is taken from Ishida AIChE J 14 (1968) 311 (also very similar to that derived by Ausman Chem Eng Sci 17 (1962) 323) and concerns the derivation of the general non-catalytic shrinking core model.

The step which is confusing me concerns the derivation of the transient behavior of the retreating interface. This is achieved through setting [tex]a' = a[/tex] and [tex]X = 0[/tex] and differentiating with respect to [tex]c[/tex] within the following equation

[itex]X = 1 - \frac{{\sinh \left( {ab} \right)}}{{a\sinh \left( b \right)}} - \frac{{\sinh \left( {ab} \right)}}{a}\int_{c1}^{c} {\frac{{{{a'} \mathord{\left/
{\vphantom {{a'} {\sinh \left( {a'b} \right)}}} \right.
\kern-\nulldelimiterspace} {\sinh \left( {a'b} \right)}}}}{{1 + d\left[ {1 - a + \frac{a}{{Sh}}} \right]\left[ {a'b\coth \left( {a'b} \right) - 1} \right]}}} dc[/itex]

The solution given by Ishida is

[tex]\frac{{dc}}{{da'}} = - \frac{1}{{a'}}\left[ {a'b\coth\left( {a'b} \right) - 1} \right]\left[ {1 + d\left[ {1 - a + \frac{a}{{Sh}}} \right]\left[ {a'b\coth\left( {a'b} \right) - 1} \right]} \right][/tex]

however, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to arrive at their answer. I know I'm missing something simple, but I just can't see it. Any help on a way forward with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jason

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Problem solved. Thanks for anyone who had a look.

What is the general homogeneous shrinking core problem?

The general homogeneous shrinking core problem is a mathematical model used to describe the process of a solid material shrinking due to a chemical reaction taking place on its surface. It is commonly used in chemical engineering and materials science to study processes such as combustion, mineral processing, and catalyst design.

What are the assumptions made in the general homogeneous shrinking core problem?

The general homogeneous shrinking core problem assumes that the solid material is spherical in shape, the chemical reaction is occurring on the surface of the sphere, and the reaction rate is dependent on the concentration of the reactant at the surface.

How is the general homogeneous shrinking core problem solved?

The general homogeneous shrinking core problem is typically solved using the shrinking core model, which involves solving a set of differential equations that describe the rate of change of the radius of the shrinking core and the concentration of the reactant at the surface. These equations can be solved analytically or numerically using simulation software.

What are the applications of the general homogeneous shrinking core problem?

The general homogeneous shrinking core problem has numerous applications in chemical engineering and materials science, including the design and optimization of industrial processes such as combustion engines, gasification reactors, and mineral processing units. It is also used in the development of new catalysts and materials for energy storage and conversion.

What are the limitations of the general homogeneous shrinking core problem?

While the general homogeneous shrinking core problem is a useful model for many processes, it does have some limitations. It assumes a spherical shape for the shrinking core, which may not always be accurate in real-world systems. It also assumes uniform properties and conditions throughout the core, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account mass and heat transfer effects, which can be important in certain applications.