Help - How to obtain rocking curves?

• Thread starter ErnFrench
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, rocking curves are X-ray diffraction measurements used to determine the quality and orientation of a crystal or thin film. Obtaining rocking curves is important for understanding the structure and properties of a material and can be done using an X-ray diffractometer and a rotating sample. Factors such as sample quality, orientation, and X-ray source can affect the quality of a rocking curve. The results of a rocking curve can be interpreted by analyzing the shape and width of the curve and comparing it to known standards or theoretical calculations.
ErnFrench
Help -- How to obtain rocking curves?

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to have found this forum, I hope you would help me. I need to obtain rocking curves from diffraction spots derived from a 3D X-Rays diffraction test. I've never touched this subject up to now, can somebody give me some suggestions?

Thanks for your collaboration.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a rocking curve?

A rocking curve is a type of X-ray diffraction measurement used to determine the crystalline quality and orientation of a thin film or crystal. It involves scanning a sample through a range of angles while measuring the intensity of diffracted X-rays.

2. Why is obtaining rocking curves important?

Obtaining rocking curves is important because it provides information about the quality and orientation of a crystal or thin film. This information is crucial in understanding the structure and properties of the material, and can also be used for quality control in manufacturing processes.

3. How do I obtain rocking curves?

To obtain rocking curves, you will need an X-ray diffractometer and a sample that can be mounted and rotated. The X-ray beam is directed at the sample, and the detector measures the intensity of diffracted X-rays as the sample is rotated through a range of angles. The resulting data can then be analyzed to obtain the rocking curve.

4. What factors can affect the quality of a rocking curve?

The quality of a rocking curve can be affected by several factors, including the crystalline quality of the sample, the orientation of the sample with respect to the X-ray beam, and the quality of the X-ray source. Other factors such as sample preparation and measurement conditions can also play a role.

5. How can I interpret the results of a rocking curve?

The results of a rocking curve can be interpreted by analyzing the shape and width of the curve. A narrow and symmetric curve indicates high crystalline quality and orientation, while a broad and asymmetric curve indicates poor quality or disorder in the crystal or thin film. Comparing the results to known standards or theoretical calculations can also aid in interpretation.