Do the quantum effects we observe in visible light occur in all wave

In summary: So basically, the wave/particle duality is something that has been observed throughout various experiments, but it's still a bit of a mystery as to what it actually is. quantum theory is a model that describes this phenomena, but it's still not 100% clear. Thanks for the explanation!So basically, the wave/particle duality is something that has been observed throughout various experiments, but it's still a bit of a mystery as to what it actually is. quantum theory is a model that describes this phenomena, but it's still not 100% clear.
llstanfield
Hello everyone, I'd like to start off by expressing my appreciation for the existence of this forum to begin with. I majored in Sociology, yet classical and quantum physics has grasped my attention to a whole new level. Basically, I have a very elementary understanding in the subject, which is why I'm asking this question.

So when physicists talk about the implications of the wave/particle duality observed in light, given the double slit experiment (which is primarily based off of visible light); and given the fact that light is electromagnetic radiation across a wide spectrum of frequencies and wavelengths, I was wondering if physicists have already conducted the same experiment, but only using higher or lower frequencies of visible light? Or is this quantum phenomena of the electron ONLY observable in visible light?
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Man thanks for the links, I will look more into this.

Last edited:
Wait, so after reading the post of the first link, is light actually a wave or a particle? Or it is possible for light to be both, given certain conditions?

llstanfield said:
Wait, so after reading the post of the first link, is light actually a wave or a particle? Or it is possible for light to be both, given certain conditions?

Its neither particle or wave - its quantum stuff. Sometimes it behaves LIKE a wave, and sometimes LIKE a particle, and believe it or not sometimes like both a particle and wave, but actually most of the time neither because quantum theory is silent about what quantum stuff is doing when not observed.

What's quantum stuff? Check out the following:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Hmm, I have to think about this more. However, that's extremely interesting and perhaps, that's the quandary that physicists are in at the moment I suppose? Nevertheless, I'll look at the link and learn more; while at the same time posing more questions if that's okay? Thanks for the response Bill.

llstanfield said:
Hmm, I have to think about this more. However, that's extremely interesting and perhaps, that's the quandary that physicists are in at the moment I suppose? Nevertheless, I'll look at the link and learn more; while at the same time posing more questions if that's okay?

Fire away.

But the quandary has been around for a while.

Around about the turn of the last century Plank, in order to explain some puzzling aspects of Black-body radiation, said light had a discreet aspect. Einstein took it a step further and assumed it to be particles to explain the photoelectric effect. Then De-Broglie said if light can be particles maybe matter can be like waves - so we had the idea of matter waves. It was a mess. But quickly the scene changed - we had Schrodinger's wave equation, Heisenberg's matrix mechanics and Diracs Q numbers which were a bit more general than the others two. Then in 1927 all was finally resolved when Dirac came up with his transformation theory which is basically quantum mechanics we know it today - and described in the link I gave.

It's basically a probability model - which is a rather funny view of the world at the fundamental level - but that's what experiments lead us to.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are quantum effects in visible light?

Quantum effects in visible light refer to the behavior of light particles (or photons) at the quantum level, where classical physics principles no longer apply. These effects can include phenomena such as interference, superposition, and entanglement.

2. Do these quantum effects only occur in visible light?

No, quantum effects can occur in all types of waves, including visible light, radio waves, and microwaves. However, the specific behaviors and properties of these effects may vary depending on the type of wave.

3. How do quantum effects manifest in visible light?

Quantum effects in visible light can manifest in different ways, such as the wave-particle duality of light, where it can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Other manifestations include the observation of quantum entanglement, where two or more particles become connected and affect each other's behavior, even at a distance.

4. Can we see these quantum effects in our daily lives?

While we may not directly observe quantum effects in our daily lives, many technologies and devices rely on these effects, such as transistors in computers and lasers in medical equipment. These technologies would not be possible without our understanding of quantum mechanics and its effects on visible light.

5. How do scientists study and explain quantum effects in visible light?

Scientists use various tools and techniques, such as quantum theory and experiments, to study and explain quantum effects in visible light. This involves understanding the behavior and properties of light particles at a quantum level and how they interact with other particles and systems.