Vector Derivatives Explained: Definition and Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of ##\vec{\nabla}_\hat{u} \vec{v}##, which is the directional derivative of the v vector function in the u direction. The conversation also includes speculation and confusion about the equation and its components, as well as links to resources for understanding and calculating directional derivatives.
Jhenrique
What means:

imagem.png

?

This guy, ##\vec{\nabla}_{\hat{\phi}} \hat{r}##, for example, means:

[tex]\\ \hat{\phi}\cdot\vec{\nabla}\hat{r} = \begin{bmatrix}
\phi _1 \\
\phi _2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial y} \\
\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y} \\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question was not clear. Were you asking what each of the equations in the first image means? Or were you asking what the following means?
$$\\ \hat{\phi}\cdot\vec{\nabla}\hat{r} = \begin{bmatrix}
\phi _1 \\
\phi _2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial y} \\
\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y} \\
\end{bmatrix}$$
BTW, that matrix product looks flaky to me. On the left side of your equation you have a dot product, which should result in a scalar, but on the right side, you have a 2X1 matrix multiplying a 2 X 2 matrix. That multiplication is not defined.

If you want a clear, concise answer, limit your questions to one per post.

Wrong my, the correct would be [tex]\begin{bmatrix} \phi _1 & \phi _2 \\ \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y} \\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Anyway, this multiplication is just a tentative of answer my own ask (my unique ask), that is: what means ##\vec{\nabla}_\hat{u} \vec{v}## ?

Jhenrique said:
Wrong my, the correct would be [tex]\begin{bmatrix} \phi _1 & \phi _2 \\ \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_1}{\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y} \\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Well, at least the matrix product is now defined. But another problem is that I don't see how this can be equal to the dot product you showed in the OP; namely,
$$\hat{\phi}\cdot\vec{\nabla}\hat{r} $$
Jhenrique said:
Anyway, this multiplication is just a tentative of answer my own ask (my unique ask), that is: what means ##\vec{\nabla}_\hat{u} \vec{v}## ?

Mark44 said:
Well, at least the matrix product is now defined. But another problem is that I don't see how this can be equal to the dot product you showed in the OP; namely,
$$\hat{\phi}\cdot\vec{\nabla}\hat{r} $$

You already understood that I'm lost and that all my equations no pass of speculation. I will not argue anymore about it.

The question is clear:
what means ##\vec{\nabla}_\hat{u} \vec{v}## ?

Its a directional derivative of the v vector function in the u direction

jedishrfu said:
Its a directional derivative of the v vector function in the u direction

ok, given, u = (u1, u2) , v = (v1, v2) and = (∂x, ∂y), how you'll operate u, v and for get the "directional derivative of the v vector function in the u direction" ?

Mark44 said:
This might be what you're looking for - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_derivative#Normal_derivative

Scroll down to this section - Derivatives of vector valued functions of vectors.

In other words, ##\frac{\partial \vec{f}}{\partial \vec{v}} \cdot \vec{u}## is the same thing that $$\\ \ \vec{\nabla}\vec{f}\cdot \vec{u} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial f_1}{\partial v_1} & \frac{\partial f_1}{\partial v_2} \\
\frac{\partial f_2}{\partial v_1} & \frac{\partial f_2}{\partial v_2} \\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
u_1 \\
u_2 \\
\end{bmatrix} = \vec{\nabla}_{\vec{u}}\vec{f}
$$

(assuming that v = (v1, v2) = r = (x, y))

Like I say in the principle... correct?

Last edited:

1. What is a vector derivative?

A vector derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a vector quantity with respect to another variable. It is similar to a regular derivative, but takes into account the direction of the vector.

2. What is the definition of a vector derivative?

The definition of a vector derivative is the limit of the change in a vector divided by the change in another variable, as the change in the variable approaches zero. In other words, it is the slope of a tangent line to a vector function at a certain point.

3. How is a vector derivative different from a regular derivative?

A vector derivative takes into account the direction of the vector, while a regular derivative only considers the magnitude. This means that the vector derivative will have both a magnitude and direction, while a regular derivative only has a single value.

4. What are some examples of vector derivatives?

Some examples of vector derivatives include velocity, acceleration, and force. For example, the derivative of displacement with respect to time is velocity, which is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

5. Why are vector derivatives important?

Vector derivatives are important because they allow us to understand how vector quantities change over time or with respect to other variables. They are crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics.