Is Evolution a Conspiracy? My Strange Encounter with a Biology Substitute

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: But you should perhaps have a "20 reasons why Evolution is true" pamplet with you with all advanced science in it.. Just one of these days I'll make one
moose
How can people be so ignorant, seriously?

Bassically, he was a sub for my class because of an AP comference my teacher had to attend. I was simply studying some biology when this sub comes up to me and asks me if we learned about evolution in this class yet. I respond with a no, but we will in a month or so. He starts rambling on about how it is a huge conspiracy, how the government is keeping the truth away from the students. How everyone is saying "tell the students the truth!" and the government always responds with "NO! WE HAVE TO TEACH THEM EVOLUTION!". He also said how all evidence is completely made up and fake just to try to prove it. Also, he said that when they ask how scientists date rocks, they respond "By the fossils". And when asked how they date the fossils, they respond with "By the rocks". I was sitting there thinking 'what kind of a psychotic crackpot is talking to me right now?'. Anyway, he goes on to say how he was also brainwashed like us, and a book entitled "The Death of Evolution" opened his eyes.

Now, how can someone base their entire beliefs to one book which has very little credibility? This guy has a masters in engineering, so he shouldn't be just some random weirdo... Bassically, he read a book, believed everything and that it was all there is to it, and that was it. Nothing could convince him otherwise.

Biology news on Phys.org
This person shouldn't be allowed near students, he'll ruin their minds! even if the students believe evolution is wrong, they do not need to waste half of class time listening to half-credible conspiracy theories. :|

In science the other day, I had some crazy lady who one minute was you best friend, and as soon as she heard tapping, she would start screaming. I don't know what it was but she HATED tapping.

yomamma said:
In science the other day, I had some crazy lady who one minute was you best friend, and as soon as she heard tapping, she would start screaming. I don't know what it was but she HATED tapping.
Did you start a class-wide conspiracy to drive her insane? :rofl: :tongue2: :biggrin:

You should complain to the principle about him. When nothing is done (When, not if) tell your parents to complain and tell all the other non-christian-fundamentalist parents to complain to.

I should've.

another sub, who's been banned from our school. Her name was Ms. Way, and her little slogan was 'it's my way, or the highway' My friend said he chose the highway and was kicked out of class for the day. She once lied to our entire class and said her name was Ms. Myway. people believed her. I'm not sure why she was banned, I know she was a screamer...

yomamma said:
I should've.

I am hoping he said it towards me, because your sub was a regular sub. Just because she yelled doesn't make her deserve being banned or whatever. Deal with it! :tongue2:

I never said she should be banned. she should just be smacked

Was she at least hot?

she was like 70

In all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about these crazy teachers. It was the same in my day, but I had been hoping things had gotten better. Kids obviously deserve teachers with stable personalities. There is something really wrong with the system.

yomamma said:
she was like 70
you didn't answer my question.

NO. she was OLD

zoobyshoe said:
In all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about these crazy teachers. It was the same in my day, but I had been hoping things had gotten better. Kids obviously deserve teachers with stable personalities. There is something really wrong with the system.

Teachers like this are rare. Although I've had some fairly incompetent teachers, none of them have been like this guy.

yomamma said:
NO. she was OLD
that just means she'll know what she's doing.

Moose -

Tell me you will pass this on to your principal? And your regular teacher?

pattylou said:
Moose -

Tell me you will pass this on to your principal? And your regular teacher?

My entire class talked to our teacher about it... When I go see my counselor in a few days for a schedule change for next semester I will bring it up to see what she thinks about it :uhh:

I wonder what would happen if we had PhD's teaching HS level Biology classes.. just imagine Moonbear as a HS teacher :tongue2:

But you should perhaps have a "20 reasons why Evolution is true" pamplet with you with all advanced science in it.. Just one of these days I'll make one :zzz:

As others have already suggested, DEFINITELY tell both your regular biology teacher and your principal about this sub. Unfortunately, the requirements for being a sub are pretty minimal, and often don't even require having a college degree, just a certain minimum number of credits. They should know not to request this sub again in the future.

well you are lucky they actually teach evolution in your school. when i was in school they skipped over the chapter lol.

1. What was the topic of your biology sub yesterday?

The topic of my biology sub yesterday was genetics.

2. What activities did you do in your biology sub class?

We did a lab activity where we extracted and analyzed DNA from different fruits. We also had a discussion about the basics of genetics and inheritance.

3. Did you cover any important concepts or terms in your biology sub class?

Yes, we talked about DNA, genes, alleles, and Punnett squares.

4. How did the students respond to the lesson in your biology sub class?

The students were engaged and interested in the topic. They asked a lot of questions and participated in the activities.

5. Will the material covered in your biology sub class be relevant to the students' upcoming exams?

Yes, the concepts and terms we covered in the sub class will be helpful for the students' upcoming exams on genetics and inheritance.