Another Me Update - Life as a Graduate Engineer

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, Brewy is still on 14.4k and BT don't seem to want to sell broadband to us just yet, so he's been doing engine tests and meeting other grads. He also mentioned that he's misssing the other members and hopes to get back soon.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey boys and girls,

Still on 14.4k (seriously) and BT don't seem to want to sell broadband to us just yet, so I can't see what else has been going on in here but thought I'd give you a quick update as to my suddenly-different life!

Spent the first week settling into my new workplace, and did a few engine tests. Standing next to a 1MW natural gas engine running at 110% load and with a downsized radiator was rather exciting; the turbos and exhaust manifolds were glowing so brightly that they all went translucent and you could pretty much see right through them. Eek.

Then went down to the UK headquarters for a fortnight, meeting all the other grads, settling in, getting hammered and going on lots of factory tours. The other grads seem a good bunch, it'll be interesting when we get to work together. Saw a rather entertaining demonstration of all the big yellow things, it was presented by a hairy northerner in the style of a fashion show, and was quite amusing to watch a big wheeled excavator dancing around, and balancing on two wheels. Made me remember why I'd applied!

Had lots of training about how to be a nice person, which should come in handy, and got given a nice mug and a pen which lights up when you write.

Tis about all for now, will check in again sometime.

Physics news on Phys.org
WE MISS YOU!

Get back here before the guru awards so you don't miss out on your chance for the "most improved member"!

Glad your having fun Brewy, don't furget yer tin at when around hot turny
things. :biggrin:

Evo said:
WE MISS YOU!

Get back here before the guru awards so you don't miss out on your chance for the "most improved member"!
yes, we all do :smile: but I can miss you a little longer, because I( want that award :approve: :biggrin:

yomamma said:
yes, we all do :smile: but I can miss you a little longer, because I( want that award :approve: :biggrin:

If brewnog mysteriously disappears, you will be the primary suspect :bugeye:

PF Misses you :smile:

what am I going to do, he's in the UK!?

yeah but you're in his hard drive...

that's true.

We need you back brewnog, we need another member to join tha brotherhood.

Achemmm!

Saw a rather entertaining demonstration of all the big yellow things, it was presented by a hairy northerner in the style of a fashion show, and was quite amusing to watch a big wheeled excavator dancing around, and balancing on two wheels
I would of given my right arm to see this! And yes we miss you!

I sure hope you can get better internet access really soon! You sound like you're having way too much fun without us, and if you don't get more reliable access, you might forget all about us! I'm not sure how long the addiction lasts if you start going through a long withdrawal period.

We were talking about you afew days ago!:smile:

Darn. I missed Brewnog.

What is the "Another Me Update - Life as a Graduate Engineer"?

The "Another Me Update - Life as a Graduate Engineer" is a series of updates that document the life and experiences of a graduate engineer. It aims to provide insight into the daily life of a graduate engineer and share their experiences, challenges, and achievements.

Why is it important to document the life of a graduate engineer?

Documenting the life of a graduate engineer is important because it can provide valuable insights and guidance for aspiring engineers. It can also help to demystify the profession and showcase the diverse roles and responsibilities of a graduate engineer.

What are some common challenges faced by graduate engineers?

Some common challenges faced by graduate engineers include adjusting to the working world, managing work-life balance, and developing technical skills. Other challenges may include navigating office politics, dealing with high levels of responsibility, and adapting to new technologies and processes.

What are the benefits of being a graduate engineer?

There are many benefits to being a graduate engineer, including gaining practical experience, developing technical skills, and networking with professionals in the field. It also offers the opportunity to work on exciting projects, make a positive impact on society, and have a fulfilling and financially rewarding career.

What advice would you give to aspiring graduate engineers?

My advice to aspiring graduate engineers would be to never stop learning, be open to new challenges, and take advantage of every opportunity to gain experience and develop skills. It's also important to network and build relationships with other professionals in the field, and to seek guidance and mentorship from experienced engineers.