Calculate the water level in a pipe.

In summary, the question pertains to finding the height of water level in a closed iron pipe submerged in water, with given data such as pipe length, diameter, water density, and barometric pressure. The solution involves using Boyle's Law to calculate the pressure at the interface and then using the formula for hydrostatic pressure to find the height of the water level. The result is approximately 5.2 cm.
collegekid
This was a question on my last exam for physical chemistry. There were no examples in the book as to how to do this question and I think it pertains to physics. I would like to know how to do this in the event that it appears on the final.

"An iron pipe 2 m long and closed at one end is lowered vertically into water until the closed end is flush with the water surface. Calculate the height h of the water level in the pipe. Additional data: 25 degrees Celsius, diameter of pipe = 3 in, density of water is 1 x 10^3 kgm^-3, barometric pressure is 100,000 Pa = 10 hydrostatic head of water. Neglect the effect of water vapor pressure."

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The level of the water inside the pipe will be such that the water pressure and air pressure at the interface are equal to each other.

Boyle's Law applies here: p1v1=p2v2

I am assuming barometric pressure is p1
p2 is calculated by hydrostatic pressure
p2=p1+density*g*height

v1 = pi*r2*h1 (convert units)
v2= p1v1/p2

h2=v1/(pi*r2)

I get 5.2 cm

1. What is the formula for calculating water level in a pipe?

The formula for calculating water level in a pipe is: water level = (volume of water in pipe)/(cross-sectional area of pipe).

2. How do I measure the volume of water in a pipe?

The volume of water in a pipe can be measured using a measuring cup or by multiplying the length, width, and height of the water column in the pipe.

3. What units should I use for the volume and cross-sectional area in the formula?

The units for volume and cross-sectional area should be consistent. For example, if the volume is measured in liters, the cross-sectional area should be measured in square meters.

4. How can I determine the cross-sectional area of a pipe?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe can be determined by measuring the diameter of the pipe and using the formula A = πr², where r is the radius (half of the diameter).

5. Does the water level in a pipe change if the pipe is not horizontal?

Yes, the water level in a pipe will change if the pipe is not horizontal. This is because the pressure at the bottom of the pipe will vary depending on the angle of the pipe, affecting the water level.