A Student throws a ball straight up

In summary, the student is trying to solve a physics problem involving a ball being thrown straight up from a height of 2 meters with an initial velocity of 15 m/s. They are having difficulty with the equation 2= 15t + .5(2/t)t^2 and getting extremely low decimals as an answer. The student is reminded to use the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and to define the initial position as the zero point. It is suggested to solve the problem in two parts, finding the time to reach maximum height and then the time to return to the ground, using the formula x = 1/2 gt^2.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

A student standing on the ground throws a ball straight up. The ball leaves the student's hand with a speed of 15 m/s when the hand is 2.0 m above the ground. How long is the ball in the air before it hits the ground? (The student moves her hand out of the way.)

Homework Equations

X= Vt + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure why I can't get this right. At first I thought it impossible without the acceleration, but then I discovered that because the acceleration is merely the slope of the velocity graph, it would just equal '2/t', right? I have my X (delta x) as 2. (Would it be negative 2??) My initial velocity is 15 m/s (as stated) and my variable is t. I ended with this equation:

2= 15t + .5(2/t)t^2

Why can I not get the answer from this equation? I keep getting extremely low decimals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually in these sorts of questions, you can assume the student is on the surface of the earth, and thus you can use the acceleration due to gravity as the acceleration (ie. a = g = -9.8m/s^2)

If this problem is occurring on earth, then the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity which to 2 s.f. is 9.8ms-2.

If you define upwards as positive then you must use -9.8 ms-2 since gravity is downwards. Also, the initial vertical position was +2m from the ground, while the final is 0m. Thus the final change in displacement (X) was -2 (since it went downwards from the start).

Try subbing these values in.

And also, the slope of the velocity graph is not 2/t. If you were to calculate the slope using the total time of flight (t), you would need the initial and final velocities. Then you slope would be rise / run = final - initial velocity / time. But even if you tried you would still end up using the actual value of g = 9.8 anyway.

Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

A student standing on the ground throws a ball straight up. The ball leaves the student's hand with a speed of 15 m/s when the hand is 2.0 m above the ground. How long is the ball in the air before it hits the ground? (The student moves her hand out of the way.)

Homework Equations

X= Vt + .5at^2

I'm not sure why I can't get this right. At first I thought it impossible without the acceleration, but then I discovered that because the acceleration is merely the slope of the velocity graph, it would just equal '2/t', right? I have my X (delta x) as 2. (Would it be negative 2??) My initial velocity is 15 m/s (as stated) and my variable is t. I ended with this equation:

2= 15t + .5(2/t)t^2

Why can I not get the answer from this equation? I keep getting extremely low decimals.

Along with the other hint... Which way is 'x' pointing? Is this the same as 'v'? Simplify matters by having your hand (2m up from the ground) as your zero point.

Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

X= Vt + .5at^2

2= 15t + .5(2/t)t^2

A couple of suggestions are in order. First of all value for acceleration is Earth's gravitational acceleration constant g of 9.8 m/s2

Second of all you might consider solving the problem in 2 parts. First the time to max height which since Earth gravity is constant is merely t = Vo/ g - the constant.

Then with the time you can figure Xmax from the relationship x = 1/2 gt2

Then you can figure the return to the ground which is the max height from that plus the additional 2 meters. Putting the new x back in the same equation yields the return time. Answer = time to max + time to ground.

1. How high will the ball go?

The height that the ball will reach depends on the initial velocity at which it was thrown, the gravitational pull of the earth, and air resistance. Using the equation h = v2 / (2g), where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), we can calculate the maximum height the ball will reach.

2. What happens when the ball reaches its highest point?

At the highest point, the ball's velocity will be zero and it will start to fall back to the ground due to the force of gravity. As it falls, its velocity will increase until it reaches its initial velocity.

3. How long does it take for the ball to reach its highest point?

The time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point can be calculated using the equation t = v / g, where t is the time, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This will give us the time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point, which is also the time it will take for it to fall back to the ground.

4. Why does the ball come back down?

The ball comes back down due to the force of gravity. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. As the ball is thrown up, it is moving against the force of gravity. Once it reaches its highest point, the force of gravity takes over and pulls it back towards the ground.

5. What factors affect the ball's trajectory?

The ball's trajectory is affected by its initial velocity, the gravitational pull of the earth, and air resistance. The angle at which it is thrown can also affect its trajectory. If thrown at an angle, the ball will follow a curved path instead of a straight one.