How do I determine the speed of my adsl internet cnnection?

In summary: Evot's summary is as follows:In summary, an ADSL connection can be tested by going to a free test site. The speed can be affected by many things, so it is not possible to determine the download speed by looking at the LAN sent and received status or by downloading a file and looking at the download speed.
Hyperspace2
I have an adsl conncection . Please don't refer me any web sites that will help me find speed. I want to find it manually. Is that I find by looking LAN sent and received status? Or I download a file and look the download speed .

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hyperspace2 said:
I have an adsl conncection . Please don't refer me any web sites that will help me find speed. I want to find it manually. Is that I find by looking LAN sent and received status? Or I download a file and look the download speed .
There can be many things that will affect the download speed, so no, you can't tell that way.

Why don't you want to test your speed by going to a free test site?

i was trying to know if we could do it manually. My ISP company tells it to be 128 kbps.

Not without somewhat specialized and comparatively expensive equipment as opposed to a test site.

Hyperspace2 said:
i was trying to know if we could do it manually. My ISP company tells it to be 128 kbps.
Have you tested it on an independent site to see what you get? With ADSL you get a faster download and slower upload. attenuation can cause speeds to decrease, disntnace from the CO will affect it, I've even known a compnay that were nextdoor to the CO, but there was an old load coil between the buildings that made the distance almost 2 miles.

Evo said:
Have you tested it on an independent site to see what you get? With ADSL you get a faster download and slower upload. attenuation can cause speeds to decrease, disntnace from the CO will affect it, I've even known a compnay that were nextdoor to the CO, but there was an old load coil between the buildings that made the distance almost 2 miles.

I just tested with speedtest.net . It shows download speed is 0.12 Mb/s whereas upload speed is 0.06 Mb/s . I am about 3km away from my CO.

Hyperspace2 said:
I just tested with speedtest.net . It shows download speed is 0.12 Mb/s whereas upload speed is 0.06 Mb/s . I am about 3km away from my CO.

Evo is correct.

And using speakeasy and some of the test sites use a file operation to test.

I know people who have had lots of problems with the install and the wire quality. You are fairly far at 3kms.

You should also check your own settings. Use opendns and see how that impacts your performance. Is your system fairly clean? How many socket processes are running?

Does the original poster want his ultimate cached speed, true sustained down and upload, or latency speed.

Hyperspace2 said:

128kbps = 16KBps = 0.015625 MBps = 0.125 mbps

so make sure you're reporting whether its megabits or megabytes per second. It looks about right for your download.

Secondly, most upload speeds are WAY under the download of your connection. I bet if you check your agreement its something like 128kpbs UP 64kbps DOWN

isnt there something in the command prompt along with the ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx command? that will do what you want?

I am using Bharti Airtel ADSL broadband services , and I use Beetel Router to connect to the service,
You can view the speed assigned by your ISP to your router,( and generally this is the original speed which your ISP gave to you ),

My router displays a maximum speed " 2500KBps upstream and ~550KBps downstream / sec.".

If this is what you are searching for then, you can login to your router's main page and check these values ,

1.Generally "http://192.168.1.1/main.html" is the default address for your accessing your router from web browser. ( In case this address is different , then you can see your network adapter/LAN status and check out the main/first I.P.,if you are using DHCP allocated I.P. addr.)

2.The default login credentials for most routers are "Admin" and "password" , or "admin" & "admin" .

3.Once you are logged into the router's main page, i.e. /main.html you will be able to see couple of options which is probablly what you are looking for.

4.For taking a fresh speed, reboot your router, using /reboot.cgi

THis works in my case, hope it does for you as well.
Hrishi.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I check my internet speed?

To check your internet speed, you can use an online speed test tool. Some popular options include Speedtest by Ookla, Fast.com, and Google's Internet Speed Test. These tools will measure your download and upload speeds, as well as ping, which is the time it takes for data to travel to and from your device.

2. What is the speed of my ADSL internet connection?

The speed of your ADSL internet connection can vary depending on several factors such as the distance from your home to the nearest telephone exchange, the quality of your phone line, and the type of ADSL service you have subscribed to. Generally, ADSL speeds range from 1 Mbps to 24 Mbps for download and 0.5 Mbps to 3 Mbps for upload.

3. How can I improve my ADSL internet speed?

If you are experiencing slow ADSL internet speed, there are a few things you can do to improve it. First, ensure that your phone line is properly connected and there are no line faults. You can also try resetting your modem or router, as well as limiting the number of devices connected to your network. If the issue persists, you may need to upgrade to a higher speed plan or switch to a different type of internet connection.

4. Why is my internet speed slower than the advertised speed?

The advertised speed of your ADSL internet connection is the maximum speed that your service provider can offer. However, your actual internet speed may be affected by various factors such as network congestion, the quality of your phone line, and the distance from the telephone exchange. Additionally, the speed advertised may be the maximum for a wired connection, and your wireless connection may be slower.

5. Does my internet speed affect my online activities?

Yes, your internet speed can affect your online activities. For example, a slower internet speed may result in longer loading times for websites or buffering when streaming videos. If you frequently use bandwidth-intensive activities such as online gaming or HD video streaming, it is recommended to have a higher internet speed to ensure a smooth experience.