Solving Equation with Roots (u/p)+(p/u), (p/q)+(q/p), (u/q)+(q/u)

• Thread starter jbar18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: Yeah this was the first method I tried. Unfortunately I got stuck with the algebra and couldn't simplify it down any further, it was a very long horrid fraction. It's fine really though, doing the question wasn't really my interest, I just wanted to know if there was a shortcut through this problem really.
jbar18

Homework Statement

The equation:

x^3 + ax + b = 0

has 3 roots, u, p and q.

Give the general solution for for an equation with roots (u/p)+(p/u), (p/q)+(q/p) and (u/q)+(q/u)

Homework Equations

u + p + q = 0

upq = -b

up + uq + pq = a

If you can solve it you probably already knew those.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've just done lots of fiddling with algebra and got a pretty nasty looking solution, and I'm not even sure if it's right. What I was trying to do was express one of the new roots in terms of a, b and u, and then plug back into the original equation for the new equation. I've got a pretty rough looking solution but I wanted to see if anyone could find a elegant way of solving this or if it is just lots of scruffy algebra. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to expand out

[x-((u/p)+(p/u))][x-((p/q)+(q/p))][x-((u/q)+(q/u))]=0

and then use the conditions given in your relevant equations. I don't think there is a simpler way.

EDIT: I think you can say in general you will have Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

with the roots required, the sum will be -B/A and then you can just simplify the sum of the roots and get B/A and so on.

rock.freak667 said:
You'll need to expand out

[x-((u/p)+(p/u))][x-((p/q)+(q/p))][x-((u/q)+(q/u))]=0

and then use the conditions given in your relevant equations. I don't think there is a simpler way.

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, thanks. I guess it is just an ugly problem.

jbar18 said:
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, thanks. I guess it is just an ugly problem.

Re-read my edit and see if that will help, I did not check to see if it will but it should work the same way.

rock.freak667 said:
EDIT: I think you can say in general you will have Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

with the roots required, the sum will be -B/A and then you can just simplify the sum of the roots and get B/A and so on.

Yeah this was the first method I tried. Unfortunately I got stuck with the algebra and couldn't simplify it down any further, it was a very long horrid fraction. It's fine really though, doing the question wasn't really my interest, I just wanted to know if there was a shortcut through this problem really. Now it seems apparent that this question is just hard for the sake of being hard.

What is an equation with roots?

An equation with roots is an equation in which one or more of the unknown values (usually represented as variables) is raised to a fractional power, also known as a root. The goal of solving these equations is to find the value of the variable that satisfies the equation.

What is the purpose of solving equations with roots?

Solving equations with roots is important in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, as it allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena. It also helps in finding solutions to problems that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

How do you solve equations with roots?

The most common method for solving equations with roots is by isolating the variable with the root on one side of the equation and then raising both sides of the equation to the power of the reciprocal of the root. This will cancel out the root on the variable's side, leaving the variable alone on one side of the equation.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with roots?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with roots include forgetting to apply the power of the reciprocal to both sides of the equation, making arithmetic errors, and not checking for extraneous solutions (solutions that do not satisfy the original equation).

What are some tips for solving equations with roots more efficiently?

Some tips for solving equations with roots more efficiently include factoring the equation to simplify it, using a calculator for complex calculations, and checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equation. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of equations with roots to develop a better understanding of the process.