Is there another name for the volume Swept through in maths Graphs ?

In summary, the person is asking for another name for "the volume Swept through" in the context of mathematics and graphs. They also mention difficulty finding information on how to calculate this volume in their assignment. They clarify that the term they are looking for is the volume of the solid of revolution and suggest consulting a textbook for examples.
Totter
Is there another name for "the volume Swept through" in maths "Graphs" ?

No matter how and where I search I can't find anything showing me how to get the "the volume swept through" of a graph and yet they ask it just like that in one of my assignments :(.

Heres the question.

Sketch the parabola y=2x^2 +5 and the line y=3x+4 on the same set of axes.
The segment cut off from the parabola y=2x^2 +5 by the line y=3x +4 is rotated around the
x-axis once.Determine the volume swept through.

Physics news on Phys.org

Totter said:
No matter how and where I search I can't find anything showing me how to get the "the volume swept through" of a graph and yet they ask it just like that in one of my assignments :(.

Heres the question.

Sketch the parabola y=2x^2 +5 and the line y=3x+4 on the same set of axes.
The segment cut off from the parabola y=2x^2 +5 by the line y=3x +4 is rotated around the
x-axis once.Determine the volume swept through.
They're asking for the volume of the solid of revolution. Your textbook should have a number of examples of this type of problem.

Also, I am moving this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.

1. What is the volume swept through in math graphs?

The volume swept through in math graphs refers to the space that is enclosed by a curve or surface in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is a measure of the amount of space that is occupied by a mathematical function or set of data points.

2. How is the volume swept through calculated in math graphs?

The volume swept through is calculated by finding the area under the curve or surface in a specific interval and then multiplying it by the width of that interval. This process is repeated for all intervals and the results are summed to get the total volume swept through.

3. Are there other terms used to describe the volume swept through in math graphs?

Yes, the volume swept through is also commonly referred to as the enclosed volume, bounded volume, or simply the volume under a curve or surface.

4. What types of graphs can be used to visualize the volume swept through?

The volume swept through can be visualized using a variety of graphs, including line graphs, scatter plots, bar graphs, and 3D graphs such as surface plots and contour plots.

5. How is the concept of volume swept through applicable in real-world scenarios?

The concept of volume swept through is applicable in many real-world scenarios, such as in engineering and architecture for calculating the volume of materials needed for construction, in physics for measuring the displacement of an object, and in finance for determining the volume of sales or transactions in a given period of time.