Register to reply

Problem in Vector Resolution and Component

Share this thread:
avistein
May14-13, 04:12 AM
P: 48
I cannot understand what is vector resolution.It is said in the book that ON is the resolved part of A along X axis.It is also known as the x-component of A or the horizontal component of A.Ax may be regarded as the projection of A on X-axis. OM is the the resolved part of A along Y-axis.It is also known as the y-component of A or vertical component of A.The vertical component of A may be regarded as the projection of A on Y-axis.Now what is that projection? Is it the image of A on X-axis or Y axis?
Then why Ax+Ay=A and not A=Ax or A=Ay?If Ax and Ay are the images of A on X and Y resp. then the magnitude of Ax and Ay should be same as A,but no, why? Please explain me.I am very much confused.
Attached Thumbnails
vECTOR.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
mathman
May14-13, 03:20 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,030
If A = (a,b), then the x axis projection is (a,0) while the y axis projection is (0,b).

It is quite simple - don't let the terminology confuse you.
deepani
May14-13, 04:04 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by avistein View Post
Now what is that projection? Is it the image of A on X-axis or Y axis?
Then why Ax+Ay=A and not A=Ax or A=Ay?If Ax and Ay are the images of A on X and Y resp. then the magnitude of Ax and Ay should be same as A,but no, why?
Don't get muddled up. Let, me explain what projection is. Say, the vector extends from (0,0) to (a.b). Suppose, you want projection on the x-axis, take a light source and place it directly above the end of the vector, the shadow would be at (a,0). Thus the projection of the vector extends from (0,0) to (a,0). similarly, y-component would extend from (0,0) to (0,b).
And, by the way Ax+Ay ≠ A. Using the Pythagoras theorem, (Ax)2+(Ay)2 = A2.
What the book might have meant would have been, was vector Ax+vector Ay = vector A. By writing vector, I am also considering the direction. While, above, I was only talking about magnitudes. With a little practice, you would easily understand the difference between the vector and it's magnitude. So, good luck!!

Register to reply