Register to reply

Equation of motion of a mass-spring system

by mech-eng
Tags: equation, massspring, motion
Share this thread:
mech-eng
Feb4-14, 12:09 PM
P: 151
hi, all. I am trying to derive the equation of motion of a mass spring system without using the
energy method but I am wrong somewhere and I cant find it, can you help me find where I am
wrong. Equation of motion of a simple mass spring system is indeed mx''+kx=0 but here I am
thinking that when we pull the mass, motion arises from the spring force which is trying to bring back the mass and it is -kx due to our choice of negative direction but when the force is negative,
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense. Here their sense both are negative. So equation should be -mx''=-kx(sum of forces equal mass product acceleration) and thus -mx''+kx=0 Can you explain me where I am wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
DrClaude
Feb4-14, 02:52 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,325
Quote Quote by mech-eng View Post
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense.
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is postive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.
DrClaude
Feb4-14, 02:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,325
I should also add that the base formula is ##F=ma##. Once you have figured out what ##F## is, the equation must be applied directly, without modifying the ##ma## part.

mech-eng
Feb5-14, 04:38 AM
P: 151
Equation of motion of a mass-spring system

Quote Quote by DrClaude View Post
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is postive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.
It is very clear, thanks a lot.

Register to reply