Register to reply

Pressure change with time.

by sambyrd220390
Tags: pressure, time
Share this thread:
sambyrd220390
Feb28-14, 05:32 AM
P: 1
I have a storage tank of 40 litres with compressed air, compressed to 9 bar (absolute), which is then fed through 8mm diameter pipe to a motor. The final pressure of the air is atmospheric (1 bar). The system is run until the storage container is depleted. Is there an equation that can find the time to take until the air runs out? Also i would like to plot this as a function of time, is there an equation to do this? I am assuming that temperature is constant.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
mfb
Feb28-14, 01:31 PM
Mentor
P: 11,576
Is there some valve to reduce the pressure? The motor could block the air flow somehow.

There are ways to calculate this, but I'm not sure how the setup looks like.
How long is your pipe?

The temperature of the expanded air will be below room temperature.
Chestermiller
Mar1-14, 07:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 5,043
Quote Quote by sambyrd220390 View Post
I have a storage tank of 40 litres with compressed air, compressed to 9 bar (absolute), which is then fed through 8mm diameter pipe to a motor. The final pressure of the air is atmospheric (1 bar). The system is run until the storage container is depleted. Is there an equation that can find the time to take until the air runs out? Also i would like to plot this as a function of time, is there an equation to do this? I am assuming that temperature is constant.
You need to determine the pressure drop-flow rate relationship for the pipe. If there is a valve, you need to determine the pressure drop-flow rate relationship for the valve. You then do a mass balance on the tank, and couple this with the ideal gas law and the pressure drop-flow rate relationships. This allows you to solve for the pressure in the tank as a function of time.

Chet

Register to reply