Microscopic properties of electrical resistance

In summary, the properties of a material, such as the number of free electrons, mass of the electron, and charge of the electron, determine its electrical resistance as described by the equation \rho = 2m/qN\tau where \tau is the time between collisions of electrons with the atoms. This time between collisions can be affected by various factors such as the density of the material, concentration of impurities, and temperature. The scattering time, which is the inverse of the collision time, is influenced by different types of scattering in a typical fermi liquid metal.
Jimmy87
I have recently been learning about the microscope properties which dictates electrical resistance. The main equation (resistivity) in my textbook is:

[itex]\rho[/itex] = 2m/qN[itex]\tau[/itex] where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the time between collisions of electrons with the atoms, q is the charge of the electron, N is the number of free electrons and m is the mass of the electron.

These properties are fixed for a given material. I am quite comfortable with why certain materials have more free electrons than others. But I was wondering if anyone knows what determines the time between collisions for a resistor ([itex]\tau[/itex]). Say if a certain material has less time between collisions then what is it about the material that determines this? Is it to do with the density of the material, so a more dense material has more atoms per unit volume so there would be less time between collisions?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The theory is much more involved because due to the quantum mechanical behaviour, scattering in an ideal lattice does not lead to resistivity. It is mostly scattering from impurities and defects, and, in very pure samples, also from phonons, i.e. fluctuations from the ideal positions of the ions. So the scattering time depends on concentration of impurities and on temperature.

Likes 1 person
Jimmy87 said:
I have recently been learning about the microscope properties which dictates electrical resistance. The main equation (resistivity) in my textbook is:

[itex]\rho[/itex] = 2m/qN[itex]\tau[/itex] where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the time between collisions of electrons with the atoms, q is the charge of the electron, N is the number of free electrons and m is the mass of the electron.

These properties are fixed for a given material. I am quite comfortable with why certain materials have more free electrons than others. But I was wondering if anyone knows what determines the time between collisions for a resistor ([itex]\tau[/itex]). Say if a certain material has less time between collisions then what is it about the material that determines this? Is it to do with the density of the material, so a more dense material has more atoms per unit volume so there would be less time between collisions?

Thanks for any help

I recommend you read this paper by Valla et al.

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/9904449

On the top of page 2, they wrote down all the factors that influences the scattering rate, which is the inverse of the collision time. You will see the type of scattering in a typical fermi liquid metal that can influence charge transport.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material.

2. How is electrical resistance measured?

Electrical resistance is measured in units of ohms (Ω) using a device called an ohmmeter.

3. What factors affect the electrical resistance of a material?

The main factors that affect electrical resistance are the material's resistivity, length, and cross-sectional area. Temperature and the presence of impurities can also affect resistance.

4. What is the relationship between electrical resistance and conductivity?

Resistance and conductivity are inversely related - as resistance increases, conductivity decreases. Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electric current, while resistance is the measure of its opposition to current flow.

5. How do microscopic properties affect electrical resistance?

The microscopic properties of a material, such as the arrangement of atoms and the number of free electrons, can greatly influence its electrical resistance. Materials with a closely packed, regular structure and a high number of free electrons tend to have lower resistance, while materials with a disorganized or tightly bound structure have higher resistance.