Lambert W function with rational polynomial

In summary: Generalized Lambert W function for applications in physics and engineering."In summary, the conversation revolved around the general type of equation, \exp(ax+b)=\frac{cx+d}{ex+f}, and the possible methods for solving it. The use of Generalized Lambert functions, specifically the W function, was suggested as a potential solution method. Further information and resources were provided for those interested in exploring this method further.
nlooije
Hi all,

During my research i ran into the following general type of equation: [itex] \exp(ax+b)=\frac{cx+d}{ex+f}[/itex]
does anyone have an idea how to go about solving this equation?

thx in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It doesn't show the steps but I got this from Wolfram

Attachments

• atrttr.gif
    atrttr.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 568
Ledsnyder said:
It doesn't show the steps but I got this from Wolfram

I think the idea is to solve for ##x## instead of ##f##.

Let [itex]u= \frac{cx+ d}{ex+ f}[/itex], the fraction on the right. Then, solving for [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x= \frac{d- fu}{eu- c}= -\frac{f}{e}u+ \frac{fc}{e}[/itex].

So the equation is, so far,
[tex]e^{ax+ b}= e^{-\frac{af}{e}u+ \frac{afc}{e}+ b}= u[/tex]
[tex]e^{-\frac{af}{e}u}e^{\frac{afc+ bd}{d}}= u[/tex]
[tex]ue^{\frac{af}{e}u}= e^{\frac{afc+ bd}{d}}[/tex]

Let [itex]v= \frac{af}{e}u[/itex]. Then [itex]u= \frac{e}{af}v[/itex] and we have
[tex]\frac{e}{af}ve^v= e^{\frac{afc+ bd}{d}}[/tex]
[tex]ve^v= \frac{af(af+ bd)}{de}[/tex]

[tex]v= W(\frac{af(af+ bd)}{de}[/tex]

Now work back through the substitutions to find x.

HallsofIvy said:
x= \frac{d- fu}{eu- c}= -\frac{f}{e}u+ \frac{fc}{e}

I think this calculation is wrong.

I have a similar problem exp(2 x)= (x+y)/(x-y) and solve for x
Generalized Lambert functions, discussed at Lambert W on wikipedia or various papers on arXiv might help, e.g.
arXiv:1408.3999v1.pdf

My notes are currently at
http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~keady/Seiches/rLambert/lambertWWave.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Let [itex]u= \frac{cx+ d}{ex+ f}[/itex], the fraction on the right. Then, solving for [itex]x[/itex], [itex]x= \frac{d- fu}{eu- c}= -\frac{f}{e}u+ \frac{fc}{e}[/itex].

Let [itex]v= \frac{af}{e}u[/itex]. Then [itex]u= \frac{e}{af}v[/itex] and we have

HallsofIvy said:

May I suggest that HallsofIvy changes his name to Half-fly or Highdive, or something?

Keady said:
I have a similar problem exp(2 x)= (x+y)/(x-y) and solve for x
Generalized Lambert functions, discussed at Lambert W on wikipedia or various papers on arXiv might help, e.g.
arXiv:1408.3999v1.pdf

My notes are currently at
http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~keady/Seiches/rLambert/lambertWWave.pdf
Added, Oct 2015: The cwr website has been taken down. The main facts are in an arXiv preprint with Istvan Mezo

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Lambert W function with rational polynomial?

The Lambert W function with rational polynomial is a mathematical function that is used to solve equations involving rational polynomials. It is defined as the inverse function of f(x) = xe^x, and is denoted by W(x). It is named after the mathematician Johann Heinrich Lambert.

2. How is the Lambert W function with rational polynomial used?

The Lambert W function with rational polynomial is mainly used to solve equations that involve exponential and logarithmic terms. It is also used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to model complex systems and phenomena.

3. What are the properties of the Lambert W function with rational polynomial?

The Lambert W function with rational polynomial has several important properties, including being the inverse of the exponential function, having two branches (W0 and W-1), and being a multivalued function. It also has applications in solving transcendental equations and in generating power series expansions.

4. Can the Lambert W function with rational polynomial be evaluated numerically?

Yes, the Lambert W function with rational polynomial can be evaluated numerically using various algorithms, such as Newton's method and Halley's method. However, due to its multivalued nature, special care must be taken when choosing the initial value for the iterative process.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Lambert W function with rational polynomial?

Yes, the Lambert W function with rational polynomial has many real-life applications, especially in fields that involve exponential and logarithmic functions. Some examples include calculating the growth rate of bacteria in biology, modeling population growth in economics, and analyzing electrical circuits in engineering.