Capping Internet Speed: How To Use Linksys BEFSR41 Router

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of capping the speed of specific computers on a network. This may be for the purpose of prioritizing network resources and minimizing the impact of lower-priority PCs on higher-priority ones. The use of a program like Netlimiter is suggested, which allows for setting download and upload speeds for individual computers. However, this may not be the most optimal solution and it is noted that there are typically not many products available for this specific purpose. The conversation concludes with questioning the reason for wanting to set this type of cap.
Euphoriet
I would like to cap the speed of some of the computers on my network.. I use a befsr41 Linksys router.. if anyone knows how to put a cap on specific IP's let me know.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you trying to prioritize the allocation of network resources? Is this why you want to set a cap on connection speed, so that the traffic generated by some lower-priority PCs doesn't affect higher-priority PCs?

Can't you just use a program like netlimiter? Just install it on each computer and then set the download/upload speeds for that computer.

If that's what you want then here is the site:

http://www.netlimiter.com/

The Question is: Why would you want to?

Netlimiter, is shaping traffic per application (by the looks of things) so although you could use it and then throttle every single application on a PC, its not optimal, but is about as close as you can get to do this...

There arent any network reasons to do what he wants so there won't be many products available to do this. Typically people implement QoS or CoS on a network per protocol/service and never a host.

1. What is internet speed capping and why would I want to use it?

Internet speed capping refers to limiting the maximum speed at which data is transmitted over your internet connection. This can be useful for a variety of reasons, such as managing bandwidth usage and preventing certain devices from using too much bandwidth.

2. How do I set up internet speed capping using a Linksys BEFSR41 router?

To set up internet speed capping using a Linksys BEFSR41 router, you will need to access the router's web-based administration page. From there, you can navigate to the Quality of Service (QoS) settings and set limits for specific devices or applications.

3. Will capping internet speed affect my overall internet experience?

Yes, capping internet speed can have an impact on your overall internet experience. By limiting the maximum speed at which data can be transmitted, you may experience slower download and upload speeds. However, this can also help prevent network congestion and improve overall stability.

4. Can I set different speed caps for different devices or applications?

Yes, the Linksys BEFSR41 router allows you to set different speed caps for different devices or applications. This can be useful if you want to prioritize certain devices or restrict bandwidth for certain activities, such as streaming or gaming.

5. Is internet speed capping a secure method for managing my network?

Internet speed capping can be a secure method for managing your network, as it allows you to control the amount of data that is transmitted over your internet connection. However, it is important to also have strong security measures in place, such as setting up a secure password for your router and using a firewall, to ensure the safety of your network.